Register Now
Jayson

Starting a Gaming Store in Your Area

What might be some challenges?  Well, it does seem like there is a market for it  - unlike video rentals, which is a dead industry.  Anyway, there are probably at least 5 in any medium sized city where I live (in Tennessee (state) USA).

The biggest challenge would be the survival cost. Each month you'd burn some money in electricity, games etc. Plus with things going digital. The best you can do is net cafe. Gaming stores are dying to be honest. It may not be easy to survive in this business. Especially box pack sales going down each year. 

I think the key to a store like that would be to focus on retro and vintage games/consoles as well as modern games. Pre-owned games is still a big business and vintage/retro gaming is actually *growing* in popularity. Just my 2 cents.

1 hour ago, DylanC said:

I think the key to a store like that would be to focus on retro and vintage games/consoles as well as modern games. Pre-owned games is still a big business and vintage/retro gaming is actually *growing* in popularity. Just my 2 cents.

That's what the ones - other than Game Stop - appear to be doing.

The biggest challenge would be the survival cost. Each month you'd burn some money in electricity, games etc. Plus with things going digital. The best you can do is net cafe. Gaming stores are dying to be honest. It may not be easy to survive in this business. Especially box pack sales going down each year. 

Maybe a personal relationship with clients would make up.  People like places - where they like and know the owners.

Edited by Jayson