Register Now
StaceyPowers

If you could redesign RL in the aesthetic style of any game ...

If you could redesign RL in the aesthetic style of any game ...

We’ve already talked about “If you could live in any game universe/city,” I think. Here’s a related question. If you could simply take the aesthetics from any video game and make-over the place where you live now visually in that style (without changing anything else about the place), what game/location would you pick?

I would pick the aesthetics of Columbia or Rapture as my top choice (big surprise, right). As my second choice, I’d go with Fallout’s streamline moderne style.

Tagging @DylanC, @LadyDay, @Alyxx because I'm curious of your answers. 

This is indeed a fascinating question given how many video game worlds are inspired by real life designs. The aesthetics of Rapture and Columbia are in no doubt inspired by the designs of the 40's and 50's. Same with Fallout and Grim Fandango, which both heavily utilize an Art Deco style.

Personally I've always loved the aesthetics of Curse of Monkey Island and the whole Caribbean theme. I would love to live on Plunder Island which happens to be the first place you visit in the game. Something about it just feels really inviting and I could probably find some way to get into the Brimstone Beach Club.

But on the topic of which game I wish I could remodel RL after, it would probably be Grim Fandango. The art deco style mixed with Mexican folk lore just feels so unique and appealing. If the afterlife actually looks like that, dying doesn't seem like such a bad thing and it's easy to see why a lot of souls simply wanna stay there.

Edited by Alyxx

@StaceyPowers Not having played very many games I'm not sure exactly how to answer this, but of the games I've played or seen video of, I'd say I'd like my RL world to look as pretty, grand and warm as Assassins Creed Odyssey. It would give an extra punch to the historical places and old buildings around. It's like reality, just prettier and more impressive. 

@The Blackangel

I haven’t played FF8, but after looking up FH, I can see why it has such a draw on you. It looks very atmospheric.

@Alyxx

Yes, you’ve seized on part of why the topic fascinates me. When I’m in Rapture, Columbia or Fallout’s universe, I feel like I’m seeing our world redesigned already, in a way—like what it might be like if those Art Deco, Art Nouveau and Streamline Moderne styles had stuck, or had become ubiquitous rather than just appearing here and there. The streamlined forms of those styles really appeal to me more than many of those which have followed.

I never heard of Grim Fandango, but going by screenshots, I can see why you’d choose it. It looks pretty awesome! The Curse of the Monkey Island art has a whimsical, storybook flavour and is also very cool.

@DylanC

The pastel colours in Breath of The Wild are appealing. LIMBO and INSIDE do indeed have very cool art styles. Couldn’t be more different than Breath of the Wild, lol.

@LadyDay

Nice choice! Ancient styles have always appealed to me as well. There was a sense of majesty in those days.