Register Now
StaceyPowers

Rapture looked cooler in Bioshock 1?

I’m playing Bioshock 2 for the first time right now. So far I’m enjoying the heck out of it, but I have to say that Rapture through the windows totally looked more atmospheric in Bioshock 1. They changed the lighting entirely (it looks kind of "washed out" now), and took away all the colourful neon. Did anyone else also prefer the look of the city in the first Bioshock more?

13 hours ago, kingpotato said:

Rapture looks amazing under water on BIO1, is it Bioshock 2 that bad or is it just good but not as good as the first?

Actually, I thought Bioshock 2 was excellent (I just finished it). It lacks some of the "cleverness" of the first game, but the storyline is solid, the locations are cool, you learn a lot more about the history of Rapture--including insights into Bioshock 1, and there were a couple of gameplay elements I liked better as well. I would say it is my least favorite of the three games, but that still makes it an amazing game.

10 hours ago, StaceyPowers said:

Actually, I thought Bioshock 2 was excellent (I just finished it). It lacks some of the "cleverness" of the first game, but the storyline is solid, the locations are cool, you learn a lot more about the history of Rapture--including insights into Bioshock 1, and there were a couple of gameplay elements I liked better as well. I would say it is my least favorite of the three games, but that still makes it an amazing game.

oh well I will try to get it anyways just to complete the trilogy

On 6/8/2019 at 10:48 AM, StaceyPowers said:

Skipping it would be missing out. It is a solid game.

Just finished it, and you are right it is a solid game and very underrated, but Rapture did looked cooler in Bioshock 1, mostly because you spent your time in several places and you get to explore more of rapture.

2 hours ago, kingpotato said:

Just finished it, and you are right it is a solid game and very underrated, but Rapture did looked cooler in Bioshock 1, mostly because you spent your time in several places and you get to explore more of rapture.

I'm glad you enjoyed it! I think there was something cooler about the lighting in the first game, but it's hard for me to explain why it was cooler. But Rapture still was awesome to explore more of, and I loved the story/characters. Also, it's almost odd Ken Levine didn't work on BioShock 2, given how strongly the themes seem to link to Infinite's.

On 2/22/2020 at 10:37 PM, skyfire said:

I think a not was revealed in the bioshock 1 so it kind of give that unknown mystery feeling. So it looked cool that way. 

The lighting in BioShock 1 was a lot dimmer, especially outside. Like you'd look out on the city, and it'd mostly be blackness ... and lights floating in the darkness. The illumination overall was brighter in BioShock 2, though the water was murkier. I think you're onto something. The city had more of an aura of mystery about it in the first game because of how it was lit.

17 hours ago, StaceyPowers said:

The lighting in BioShock 1 was a lot dimmer, especially outside. Like you'd look out on the city, and it'd mostly be blackness ... and lights floating in the darkness. The illumination overall was brighter in BioShock 2, though the water was murkier. I think you're onto something. The city had more of an aura of mystery about it in the first game because of how it was lit.

Also one thing I noticed is that B1 has more windows that show you the city, surprisingly B2 has only a few windows that show you the outside of Rapture

On 2/26/2020 at 6:37 AM, StaceyPowers said:

Yeah kind of some sort of deep meaning to setting up the entire theater underground. I don't know why they didn't made it more mysterious, and added cult or potential multi verse sort of thingy. 

On 2/27/2020 at 9:56 PM, skyfire said:

Yeah kind of some sort of deep meaning to setting up the entire theater underground. I don't know why they didn't made it more mysterious, and added cult or potential multi verse sort of thingy. 

Kind of funny you mention that you would have liked to see the multiverse brought into the Rapture games, but you’re not a big fan of Infinite if I recall. How would you have liked to see the concept used in BioShock 1 or 2?

Actually, wasn’t there some kind of cult involved in the area where the trees are grown in Rapture? But I can’t recall what that was all about. I did consider Lamb’s entire organization to be a cult in BioShock 2. The handling of religious fervour’s potential for destruction somehow seemed more artfully handled to me in Infinite though. I think it was that Infinite did a better job capturing the “appeal” of the rotten ideology and showing me how it tempted its followers (I think a lot of gamers could see the seductive allure of Columbia’s outward beauty). I never figured out what the hell anyone saw in Lamb’s bs.

I kind of expected someone or something behind the multiverse. Like you know the cthulu game that recently launched which had a cult and had a story that lead to birth of cthulu reincartion vessel. So that sort of progression was expected. But the way BS Infinite moved I think it kind of dragged in that case.