Register Now
StaceyPowers

Video Game Outcomes That Made You Regret Your Choices?

When I was a kid, I loved Choose Your Own Adventure books because of the challenge of finding a single right pathway through (almost every ending was disastrous, so nearly all choices were bad).

A lot of video games are kind of the opposite of that in that player choice plays a factor in outcomes, but quite often, regardless of your choices (especially in dialogue), you can usually find a favourable outcome.

The only time so far I’ve had a particularly regrettable outcome was when I decided to be neutral in the Skyrim civil war, and then during the negotiations, Markarth got traded to the Stormcloaks.

Unfortunately no matter how you play the game, there’s really nothing you can do to improve Markarth’s situation, but giving it to the Stormcloaks definitely takes it from bad to worse in my opinion. In fact, it was such a hit that I ended up starting over again with a new character not long after, since it felt like I’d “lost” in a meaningful sense. It also made me see how sometimes the worst decision is no decision.

Anyway, what are some video game decision points you ended up particularly regretting in any game? 

I've surprisingly got a lot of decisions I regret when it comes to video games...

The one I can remember off the top of my head is in Dragon Age 2 and siding with the mages. Only, I'd not realized that I hadn't gotten Fenris to 100% rivalry and so, no matter how much I tried to persuade him, he just wouldn't listen and I ended up having to kill him. I tried to carry on anyway, acting like it didn't bother me that I had just killed my Hawke's best friend, but by the time I'd gotten to the end of the game I was SO heartbroken (I wasn't even ROMANCING the dude) that I just restarted the whole game again. I felt so ill after it too. Video games, man.