Register Now
Voltairus

The Resident Evil 3 remake was a dissonant hodge podge of shoot-em-up and survival horror but it missed the mark on both

Initially, I was blown away by the graphics. It starts off in first person, and for those few minutes, it felt like it was going to have a feel similar to 2017’s Resident Evil 7. But even when it switched to the third-person, over-the-shoulder viewpoint we’ve gotten used to in the series, it wasn’t disappointing. The controls, graphics and atmosphere all felt very similar to the Resident Evil 2 remake. All was well.

Even when I had my first encounter with Nemesis, everything was good. The character models were excellent, and so was the detail put into the environment. The first bit of the story was great, and I was hooked.

But then I started fighting the zombies. 

Good lord. They added a button combination for dodging the zombies. Can’t dodge for one reason or another? Too bad, here’s a bunch of damage. Want to try and take them out before you get too close? Good idea, hope you have a full mag to dedicate to headshots. And even if you do, here’s a zombie sneaking up on you from behind. Nice try, you old, fuckin’ casual.

Full review: http://gyglounge.com/resident-evil-3-remake-review-shoot-em-up-filled-with-frustration/

RE3.png

Well, the series has been underwhelming for years now, thanks to Capcom switching over to action, and today the games are chock-a-block with Michael Bay like explosions. The plot is also absurd, because they went from the Umbrella Corporation being the focal point, to whatever one note trashy villains they have these days. And now Umbrella are good, with a blue logo in place of the old red one. Sorry, but that's just stupid. About as stupid as Chris Redfield working alongside of them, with his awful current look. Hell, the guy in RE7 doesn't even remotely resemble Chris in the earlier RE efforts at all. You could be forgiven for thinking he isn't even the same person.

Apparently, RE8: "Village" will convert Ethan Winters into this Ash Williams type of hero, where he kills werewolves with a chainsaw. I mean, seriously! The guy also happens to have a wife named Mia. He loses a hand.

Hello! What movie series is all of this being taken from? 

RE4 is overrated tripe. It's generally not a bad game in its own right, but as a RE sequel, it kind of sucks. The merchant for example is one dumb "character" because of how unrealistic he is. Yes, other games have merchant people that sell you stuff. Guess what, though? Do you see them teleporting their stock everywhere like it's nobody's business? Not to mention the druids, ogres, and other enemies in the game don't really seem like RE creatures either. But that isn't to say the game is overall terrible. The same with 5 and 6. They have some quality to them. The thing is though, Capcom can do nothing but rip off other games and movies nowadays, plus market them as survival horror, when they clearly are more like action horror. Even RE: Revelations 2 practically copied Naughty Dog's game, yet I feel like that goes unnoticed by a lot of fanboys. Or maybe they know about it, but they just don't care.

I'm sorry, but these games just don't make much if any sense anymore. I feel like tuning out altogether now, quite frankly.

Yeah, dude. I actually know the feeling...

I've seen so many people saying the story in these games sucks, which I'll admit, it does feel like that these days. That isn't to say "it has always sucked", as some ignorant radge pots on other forums often claim. In fact, I got banned from a Silent Hill forum last year, because some guy had a go at me for what he viewed as me taken the story in RE7 too seriously, or however he worded his rant. So after I was outed, he got promoted as a moderator. It's just incredibly sad how a lot of years of my time on that website didn't amount to squat in the long run. I've wanted to quit forums for years, but I guess being lonely and bored is what drives me back to them.

The thing is, I think the remake and prequel not being commercial hits was what caused Shinji Mikami to take the direction he did with RE4 being this action oriented, weird experience. Whatever people think of that game, it's still the primary reason RE has been in this terrible slump for well going over a decade. And yes, I know people say RE7 was a return to familiar territory, but I honestly don't regard that as being anything special. I've never truly liked first person shooters either. And there's a reason why I don't regard it as being overly amazing. All Capcom really did there was throw in a bunch of things from famous horror movies, and somehow got themselves another free pass. I'm also of the belief that Capcom wanted to copy P.T. because Konami got all that buzz with it, and then the much lauded Silent Hills was axed. But I mean, if you really think about it, the only monsters you have to kill besides the mutated family, are these generic black humanoids. Otherwise, you just contend with the Baker family. That's it. When put against the other games, that's nothing all that memorable. In the other games, you had a whole range of enemies blocking your path, including zombies, dogs, crows, spiders, Hunters and Lickers, and a whole slew of other notable creatures. RE4 having druids and whatnot, was why it didn't feel like RE anymore. Yet apparently, the remake of RE4 will link to Nemesis from RE3. 

RE7 was a good game in general. Don't discredit it entirely. But as the years go by, RE as a whole just doesn't feel like RE all that much any longer. For the most part, they resemble Call of Duty and Gears of War. That's just not what RE is supposed to represent. But it's also because standard survival horror games are seen as being kind of "boring" in the eyes of the casual, Fortnite player. 

Hell, I'll go out on a limb and say The Evil Within games captured the concept of 'action horror' almost perfectly. The games are about the closest you get to a modern day Silent Hill feel with the RE4 like feeling the genre is now known for mostly, yet no-one really praises Bethesda for any of their hard work. The same with The Last of Us, or even underrated games such as Days Gone. They have often gotten a pretty underwhelming response, being dismissed by their critics as being movie games. It's so sad, because Days Gone is a long game and very, very detailed. Yet people wanna praise Capcom's half-baked garbage like it's nobody's business. Well, I guess they don't mind bad quality gaming then.

Anyway, that's the end of my spewing for now. You can agree or not. These are just my own opinions...

I remember your comment on days gone, and after playing it I realized that it does not have that much depth apart from graphics improvement. Story was okay type. And overall I had the same feeling going forward thihnking about the silent hill reboot. I think we need something stronger and not just rehashed stories that they push like EA sports pushing their series of games. Hoping that kojima type people can put on some sense in other game studios. 

We could be getting an announcement on 10 June. Rumours have began doing the rounds again. Some people speculate it could be to do with their Ambassador scheme, as indicated by a translated Twitter post, and nothing more. But I mean, Dusk Golem did say RE8 was going to be revealed soon, so it would make sense to reveal the game when E3 had originally been going to be held. But who knows? 

I do think that big reveal is due relatively soon. 

I heard that after few remakes they may be hiring some other team leader on the development side. And also the story would be revamping as well. this would be going for both silent hill and RE. is this true?

I have no idea. It appears that Capcom is hiring other companies to develop the games, where they simply do very little. That's kind of why the series sucks now. No real passion went into these recent games. They felt like something you would find discounted at $10 in a bargain bin, and the dialogue is just so, so bad.

No way is RE3 worth sixty bucks. I just hope RE8 isn't a colossal screw up as well. 🙄

I don't have any problems as long as they come up with fresh storylines and exciting games. I'm sick of poor imitation of the same tale with a tweak of visuals. There's desire for a fresh plot - this is the only way gamers like me, will stay interested in the gamer.

Edited by Alexander.

So I was looking forward to some news, at long last. But today, I just found out that Sony has cancelled the PS5 reveal for 4 June, over a recent racist incident. While I can understand that there's a lot going on right now, there's no denying that this is disappointing. 2020 has sucked so far.

😞

So here we are some 5 months later... and as predicted, no true RE fan even gives a flying frog's butt about this pitiful "remake" anymore. 😜

I thought the RE2 remake was actually a pile of trash as well. People generally say that RE3 sucks, but RE2 isn't really any better. It does not deserve a free pass whatsoever, but people are inclined to think it's some brilliant masterpiece. It truly isn't deserving of the praise it receives online. For I mean, you run like a jackass around like one bloody street at the beginning to get to the building, and there you go. You're at the police station already. That's just dumb. Not to mention, all of the locations and creatures that Capcom shoddily removed from the game. Sorry, but that's nothing more than a disservice to the fans as a whole. How is it that you could code crows and spiders in a 1996 game, but not in 2019? Come on, Capcom. That's just stupid and sheer laziness on your behalf! 

In the original RE2, you start at the fire in the streets and either run inside the police station, or you have to go the longer route if you're playing the A scenario. You basically go in the gun shop, see the owner (Robert Kendo) being devoured by zombies, and you traverse alleyways and a basketball court, as well as heading through a bus. NONE of that made it into the half-baked 2019 version. At least, not in that particular order. Yes, you do visit the gun shop, but that occurs much later on. Kendo isn't killed by zombies either, because they make out he has a sick daughter. In the RE3 remake especially, the original game's locations were more so just serving as backdrops.

Also, they did away with Ada's iconic red dress. I guess that's what Capcom sees as being 'fan service' to a community that begged them years ago to do a remake, similar to Shinji Mikami's remake in 2002 that was on the Nintendo GameCube. The rest of the game just felt so cheesy and rushed, quite frankly. When you're in the tram, heading down to the lab, there's no tension inside of you at all. And yes, Capcom. We wanted an actual remake. You provided something so inferior.

I don't care what anybody says about RE4 and most of the action oriented games that followed. RE4 practically killed the series. It's a dumb action adventure game that is pretending to be a horror title, where you shoot anything that moves and you pick up coins, and look for treasure. You can do kicks and wrestling moves on enemies. Hell, just about everything you slay drops something. That's just idiotic. That isn't to say RE4 is by any means absolutely crap, or unplayable. But as a RE game in line with the older games, I don't like that it disregarded the plot established in the other games. It sort of rendered all of that build-up relatively pointless. Everybody was eager to take on Umbrella someday, but Capcom just axed all of that. Unless of course, you want to play an awful on-rails shooting game like The Umbrella Chronicles. That game is dog poop, but at least it sort of concluded that arc with Umbrella, and playing as Wesker in first person is kind of cool.

To be honest, I think a lot of people are predicting that "Village" is going to be a filler game, so that Capcom can basically save money and insert assets from that game into the eventual RE4 remake. Again, what's really the point in remaking RE4 anyway? It's the primary reason we've ended up with so many trashy third person shooter horror titles in any case. Hitting that reset button just feels pointless. About as pointless as all of these bland tie-in games that Capcom has been licensing, because they are money grabbers. You name it. Umbrella Corps, Operation Raccoon City, that Android nonsense, and Project Resistance. These games spit in the face of the real RE fans. Although I must say, the animated movies are done with a lot of passion.

2020 has sucked. We're going through a pandemic... and where the heck is the great games, eh? We don't know much, if anything yet, about how much the PS5 will cost upon its release. 🤨

Edited by thesaunderschild