Register Now
skyfire

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare - Banning Racist Names

Considering there is a lot of racism going on lately thanks to China. I think it's about time the call of duty is going to ban the username which contain racial slur. So the news about that part is being declared by developers. 

Racism and prejudice in general is something that is never going to go away, regardless or where a person stands. I don't think they actually care, but social pressure to be PC is what I think is driving them to make the call. I'm white so what's the problem if I want to use a screen name like "OneBadassCracker"? Yeah "cracker" is a derogatory term against white people, but I AM white, so why can I not use it? The same goes for all races. I just don't think it's an honest move meant for improvement. It's just backing down.

I know a guy who is overweight and homosexual that refers to himself as "Fat Fag" all the time. It's actually how he introduces himself a lot. Since it's coming from his mouth it's not derogatory since he's talking about himself. So why couldn't he use something like "ImTheFatFag"?

Edited by The Blackangel

Yeah the thing is if you start to ban racial name in one then you end up banning "freedom of expression" in another. For example "putty" means liquid substance for construction workers in english region, where as it also means vagina- in some languages. And it also means one windows application for SSH too. So you can see trying to get rid of racism would end up creating nazi like movement of it's own. But  we live to see world move on either way. Just a drama. 

Then there's also regional slang that is under attack. People from the UK correct me if I'm wrong here, these are just what I've been led to believe.

Fanny in the states means ass. Apparently in the UK however it means pussy.
Fag is a derogatory term for a gay man. I know in the 60's here and I think still in the UK it means cigarette.

Then there are some terms that could also be a persons actual name. A YouTuber that I have followed for years had that problem. His name was Rob Dyke. The last name was causing him problems everywhere he went. So he legally changed it to Gavagan, which (if I remember correctly) was his grandmothers maiden name. This hits Asian people even more. Here wang is a term for dick. But there are a lot of people whose name is Wang.

So where does the shit stop? Where do we draw the fucking line?

Edited by The Blackangel

There is a one fix to this. Not sure if it may work for other games. In MOBA games, people do have usernames but they are being called with Hero names. Like say karina, jawhead etc etc. So forcing hero names for limited usersay 5x5 games can eliminate need of using the usernames on visible end. Usernames will be there for logging but wont be used in the game. That is one way to work around this. This may work as long as we play matches which has heroes equals the participant numbers. 

Just my random fixage thought. 

Good call but long overdue. It has to be asked why a pre-existing system to not allow these users to register was not there in the first place. That being said, I'm glad they are finally acknowledging this and taking action. I hope more games will do the same.

17 hours ago, ARx182 said:

Good call but long overdue. It has to be asked why a pre-existing system to not allow these users to register was not there in the first place. That being said, I'm glad they are finally acknowledging this and taking action. I hope more games will do the same.

More games will do. Obvious racism can be easily cleaned out.