Register Now
Shagger

Horizon Zero Dawn coming to PC on August 7nth

The release date is confirmed. Horizon Zero Dawn Complete Addition will be available for purchase from Steam and Epic Games Store will all the content from Horizon Zero Dawn and its expansion pack The Frozen Wilds. The PC version offers several new features including ultra-wide support, graphical enhancements (improved reflections and dynamic foliage), graphical customization, unlocked framerate, control options and a benchmarking tool.

The PC Specs are also fairly modest, it's an easier game to run than I would have thought.

1133723405_hzdpcspecs.PNG.063b38eedeca2b6f7afab4014f8f54c3.PNG

All is good... apart from the price. For a game that's £15.99 on PSN right now (About $18-$19) Steam is asking for £32.99 (About $40) and, in move that's both bizarre and infuriating, Epic are asking for even more, £39.99 ($50). I'm just not convinced that's reasonable.

624028481_hzdepic.thumb.PNG.5fcc11ea57f29c082023d6e3ec0a68b0.PNG

1006596842_hzdsteam.PNG.929bade86262c2125ca49ba1409c0007.PNG

Still though, happy to see PC players being given the chance to enjoy this fantastic game, and with what is looking like a very good port as well. I might even repurchase this myself for the experience.

Anyone here exited to see this?

Edited by Shagger

39 minutes ago, Crazycrab said:

I just chekeed the price on Steam and it's up to £39.99 now.  Maybe the origional price listing was a mistake?

YJk51xB.png

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1151640/Horizon_Zero_Dawn_Complete_Edition/

Well, we have to assume so. Kudos to anyone who pre-ordered the game on steam before they fixed it 😄

Well, it's been a couple of days and the news isn't good. Whilst some users are having the game run just fine, others are having real trouble, as evident on the Metacritic page;

HZDmetaPC.PNG.368cf30844d40c403a3d4e7f9b313d7d.PNG

HZDmetaPC1.thumb.PNG.babc300ad7719f0d6af66da7d0e2b83f.PNG

And the Steam page;

HZDSteam1.PNG.f9438a4ffe0a2963301282055b32c1c0.PNG

HZDSteam2.thumb.PNG.aa2d6d32b063eb7c1109ed29644c3dfe.PNG

Now, especially after what happened to games like TLOU2, I would be last person to recommending trusting user reviews, but there is an undeniable level of consistency in the complaints. Crashes, dips and general performance issues, especially those on higher end rigs.

This is interesting to me because this only the second time that the Decima Engine has been used on a PC game, the first being Death Stranding. Decima was developed by Guerilla Games in conjunction with Horizon Zero Dawn. Death Stranding on PC didn't have these issues as far as I know, but there is a critical difference between the two. Death Stranding was always coming to PC, HZD wasn't. I know that HZD did employ a bit of digital hocus-pocus to run its astonishing graphics like it did on the PS4, the kind of stuff that wouldn't necessarily be reliable on multiple hardware set-ups.

So, it's only a theory, but was the way that HZD was originally coded and developed going to make this PC version way more difficult than normal to develop, or this is just another lazy, undercooked port? And what does this mean for other games originally developed just for a specific console coming to PC? What do you think?

One thing for sure though. Guerilla needs to fix this. The PC fans deserve better, especially considering this is a more expensive version of the game right now.

1 hour ago, Shagger said:

This is interesting to me because this only the second time that the Decima Engine has been used on a PC game, the first being Death Stranding. Decima was developed by Guerilla Games in conjunction with Horizon Zero Dawn. Death Stranding on PC didn't have these issues as far as I know, but there is a critical difference between the two. Death Stranding was always coming to PC, HZD wasn't. I know that HZD did employ a bit of digital hocus-pocus to run its astonishing graphics like it did on the PS4, the kind of stuff that wouldn't necessarily be reliable on multiple hardware set-ups.

I've been looking into this and I saw a one article from VG247 that offers a possible explanation:

https://www.vg247.com/2020/08/09/horizon-zero-dawn-pc-debug-build/

He thinks that Guerrila and/or Sony slipped up and that (at least in some cases) that a debug build has made it's way to customers.  It's accessing memory in a way that it shouldn''t which is what is causing the game to crash.

Edited by Crazycrab

Guerrilla has just relased patch 1.01.

https://twitter.com/Guerrilla/status/1294214278317248517?s=20

Patch Notes:

Hi everyone!
Our team has been working on a patch that addresses several issues with Horizon Zero Dawn Complete Edition for PC, which is available to download now.

We’re very grateful for all the reports and posts from our players so far! Some issues still need more investigation and testing, so our team is hard at work on the next patch which will go live next week.

If you are experiencing issues, please continue to send us your crash reports; additionally, you can go here to report any other problems you might encounter.

Although we are not able to get back to every report, we sincerely appreciate the continued support from our community. We care deeply about creating an enjoyable experience for everyone playing Horizon Zero Dawn, and we will continue to work on further enhancements based on your feedback.

Please find below some of the Known Issues we are continuing to investigate, as well as the patch notes describing the fixes that are now introduced with patch 1.01.

Patch 1.01

KNOWN ISSUES

In addition to the issues identified previously, we’re working on a number of high-priority issues:

• Some players are experiencing startup crashes. Patch 1.01 fixes a few, but not all, of these crashes.
  • Some players are experiencing GPU-related hangs during gameplay. The improved diagnostic data collection added in Patch 1.01 is aimed at making it easier to track these down.
  • Some players are experiencing graphical settings issues, such as Anisotropic Filtering not working, 4K not displaying correctly, or HDR not working correctly.
  • Some players are experiencing performance issues on specific GPUs or hardware combinations.
  • We're aware of and continue to investigate all issues in this list on Reddit as well. Thank you to u/EvilMonkeySlayer for compiling this for us.

PATCH NOTES

Crash/Hang Fixes

• Fixed an issue where the game would crash if the SteamUI didn’t initialize properly on startup.

Functionality Issue Fixes

• Fixed an issue where Concentration and other slowdown mechanics wouldn’t work for everyone.
  • Fixed an issue where Windows/Steam profile names containing special characters would prevent some players from saving the game. We are still investigating other saved game issues as well.
  • Fixed an issue where Windows/Steam profile names containing special characters would prevent some players from saving screenshots in Photo Mode.

Other Fixes

• Added improved diagnostic data collection when submitting a crash report.
  • Fixed several backend issues.
  • Fixed a video corruption issue for specific hardware. We’re continuing to look at other hardware configurations as well.

It doesn't really seems to have fixed that much yet but the team seem commited to geting it working right.

Edited by Crazycrab