Register Now
StaceyPowers

Have any video games taught you lessons about history that helped you understand the present?

In another thread we were talking about politics in video games and whether we like it or dislike it, and a number of people mentioned they are okay with learning political history from video games, but don't want any present-tense politics in their games. I think that the present and past are closely intertwined, and in fact, some video games have helped me understand present politics far better by educating me about the roots of those politics (I'm looking at you, BioShock Infinite). Has anyone here also found they grasp present-day politics better because of video game history lessons?

I'm not asking about what you like/dislike in this thread, just what you have learned.

1 hour ago, StaceyPowers said:

In another thread we were talking about politics in video games and whether we like it or dislike it, and a number of people mentioned they are okay with learning political history from video games, but don't want any present-tense politics in their games. I think that the present and past are closely intertwined, and in fact, some video games have helped me understand present politics far better by educating me about the roots of those politics (I'm looking at you, BioShock Infinite). Has anyone here also found they grasp present-day politics better because of video game history lessons?

I'm not asking about what you like/dislike in this thread, just what you have learned.

AC Odyssey has a whole in depth learning experience in its options menu where you go to actual historical locations and tour it moving your character around and so on. And while in the actual gameplay historical sights you come across are noted and you get XP points. And it has a brief summary of it in the map. I thought that was very unique. Some of it has to do with politics because Greece was the beginning of democracy and so there is a lot of history there as well as the olympics which they reveal as well. 

Even though I learned a great deal about World War 2 through books and documentaries, a part of that information also came from games like Medal Of Honor where they actually took elements from interviews with surviving WW2 vets and incorporated it into the game. It's a shame that EA didn't see the goldmine they were sitting on although the next Medal Of Honor game will have actual interviews with some of those people.

Assassin Creed 2-3 actually had some aspects of true history in them, which was cool to see happen and then play through it and look it up and learn later. Same for Secret Weapons Over Normandy which was a really good game that was pretty close to what happened through time and the war.

I can't think of one that specifically was fully accurate though.