Register Now
StaceyPowers

Skyrim’s color palette

I will confess, and should've mentioned this in the previous post you're referring to, the Special Edition does wonders for colour palette. The sky is a nice deep blue, the trees and leaves and grass are all brought out and the clothing is somewhat more striking. It's just that in the original game the low contrast brought down the mood of the game, which wasn't low in really any sense so it was just this strange juxtaposition.

While mods allow for such things to be resolved I still don't understand how Bethesda went from the grey Arena to bright Daggerfall, to sometimes colourful Battlespire, to the clownshoes Redguard, to brown Morrowind, to the exploded paint factory Oblivion, ending on Sludgeville, USA otherwise known as Skyrim. Maybe a significant portion of their ~400 employees consist of dogs who can't see many colours? That might also explain the bugs.

Personally I like it. But then I absolutely love overcast days as opposed to bright sunny days. If it rains that's a bonus. I also like torrential rainstorms. The kind that can knock out the power and carry the threat of flash floods. I find it so soothing and centering. To put it mildly, if it wasn't for the fact that my house and everything I own would get destroyed, I would happily move to Key West and await hurricane season with eagerness. But here in Missouri, all I can await is tornado season. We haven't had any kind of real flood since 1993, so I haven't had the chance to enjoy that in almost 30 years.

1 minute ago, The Blackangel said:

I was talking about IRL. I can't get out in them, because if the controls on my chair get wet, then I will be left with an expensive ass lawn chair. And no way to get around my own house.

Sunlight sets off my migraines. And drains the world of ambiance.

By nature, I'm nocturnal. I always have been. It's why graveyard shift jobs have always been the best for me. It's also why every window in my house has light blocking curtains, and in my office I use black light bulbs. Light and I don't mix. But as such, denying myself sunlight means I have a vitamin D deficiency, so I have to take supplements.

Small price to pay though.

On 1/22/2021 at 2:50 PM, Withywarlock said:

I will confess, and should've mentioned this in the previous post you're referring to, the Special Edition does wonders for colour palette. The sky is a nice deep blue, the trees and leaves and grass are all brought out and the clothing is somewhat more striking. It's just that in the original game the low contrast brought down the mood of the game, which wasn't low in really any sense so it was just this strange juxtaposition.

While mods allow for such things to be resolved I still don't understand how Bethesda went from the grey Arena to bright Daggerfall, to sometimes colourful Battlespire, to the clownshoes Redguard, to brown Morrowind, to the exploded paint factory Oblivion, ending on Sludgeville, USA otherwise known as Skyrim. Maybe a significant portion of their ~400 employees consist of dogs who can't see many colours? That might also explain the bugs.

I mean Skyrim is in the middle of a civil war so I can understand the drab grey color. That being said, I do have to agree with you on Bethesda's inconsistency and the fact that they keep removing features every game. In Oblivion, you could make your own spells and rename your own potions among other things. In Skyrim, you can't do most of that stuff without mods and the worst part is, Bethesda will continue to shit on their modding community - one of the main reasons for their success.