Register Now
Kane99

Can Quantic Dream do something else?

Quantic Dream is known for games like Indigo Prophecy, Heavy Rain, Detroit Become Human, and a few other games. The majority of their games are story driven games where you respond certain ways, do quick time events and so on. I only played Indigo Prophecy, and it reminded me of simon says, you followed prompts and that's what it felt like at times. The game shined when investigating crimes and getting away from the police. I saw gameplay for the rest of Quantic Dreams games through lets plays. 

With that being said, do you think that Quantic Dream could do different types of games? Maybe action games, or an open world RPG, anything? Don't get me wrong, if it works, why change the mold? But still, I think this studio could do something new and fresh. Mix in your best mechanics and add more action into it, and I think you would have something that's better. At least imo. 

What do you guys think?

So long as David "Emotions" Cage is in charge, no. And without him Quantic Dreams' future is probably as a porting house to build up their portfolio before  being entrusted with publisher money. The thing is David Cage is an auteur, meaning he has a lot of creative control and requires strict adherence to his artistic vision at all costs, so personal brands don't mean much at Quantic Dreams.

Much as I've ragged on Cage in the past I'll not deny him the accolade of writing (mostly) tightly woven together stories and memorable characters, which is very hard to achieve in an open world game. I wouldn't be at all surprised if his attempts at an open world rivalled Deadly Premonition's jankiness, which not everyone has the stomach for. Without him, I don't think Quantic Dreams could make a 'Quantic Dreams game'.

Short answer: NO

There were segments in Beyond Two Souls, that could've easily been made like a regular action game, but it was still implemented as a qte infested mess.

Don't get me wrong, I love Quantic games stories and characters, but absolutely hate the way the games play. Although there is some improvement.  Heavy Rain was fully QTE driven, Beyond was a bit less heavy on them, and Detroit had very few actual QTEs that would be annoying. It was more based on actual wilful choices than reflexes.

I think Detroit would've worked all the same on an emotional level if it was more open world. It doesn't need to be this restrictive. I don't know if they are incapable or uninterested in making their games feel like actual games instead of interactive movies.

Edited by m76

23 hours ago, m76 said:

Short answer: NO

There were segments in Beyond Two Souls, that could've easily been made like a regular action game, but it was still implemented as a qte infested mess.

Don't get me wrong, I love Quantic games stories and characters, but absolutely hate the way the games play. Although there is some improvement.  Heavy Rain was fully QTE driven, Beyond was a bit less heavy on them, and Detroit had very few actual QTEs that would be annoying. It was more based on actual wilful choices than reflexes.

I think Detroit would've worked all the same on an emotional level if it was more open world. It doesn't need to be this restrictive. I don't know if they are incapable or uninterested in making their games feel like actual games instead of interactive movies.

I think that's their gimmick though, to make interactive movies. I think David Cage probably wanted to be a film maker originally, and couldn't do it, so got into video games somehow. I really wonder if he's even capable of making movies lol. 

Anyway, I don't think they know how to make anything different. Then again, I think Cage's first game was an adventure game. But I forget. 

On 2/3/2021 at 1:36 AM, Kane99 said:

Quantic Dream is known for games like Indigo Prophecy, Heavy Rain, Detroit Become Human, and a few other games. The majority of their games are story driven games where you respond certain ways, do quick time events and so on. I only played Indigo Prophecy, and it reminded me of simon says, you followed prompts and that's what it felt like at times. The game shined when investigating crimes and getting away from the police. I saw gameplay for the rest of Quantic Dreams games through lets plays. 

With that being said, do you think that Quantic Dream could do different types of games? Maybe action games, or an open world RPG, anything? Don't get me wrong, if it works, why change the mold? But still, I think this studio could do something new and fresh. Mix in your best mechanics and add more action into it, and I think you would have something that's better. At least imo. 

What do you guys think?

I'm actually looking forward to them getting out an open world game that would be like RDR2. It's definitely going to be awesome.