Register Now
killamch89

Konami Games losses are so bad that they're open to other studios making MGS, Silent Hill Etc. Games

In this episode of the consequences of your actions comes back to bite you in the butt, Konami Games are tanking so hard that they're considering letting other studios develop MGS/Silent Hill/Castlevania games. On my list of developers who should not touch these franchises - EA, Ubisoft, Bethesda, Activision, did I mention EA shouldn't touch it - had to make sure. In my estimation, I'd like Capcom to get Castlevania and Silent Hill because of their work on the DMC and Resident Evil series, they'd be perfect for both series. Metal Gear Solid is a weird one because I'd say Kojima should get it but we all know that'd be pretty complicated with the bad blood between Kojima and Konami. What do you guys think about this news?

Those properties are quite safe from the companies on your list because they're publishers, not studios (save for Bethesda, who now bumble under Microsoft's lazy eye). Your biggest worry would be if said publishers were buying Konami properties, i.e Electronic Arts purchasing Pro Evolution Soccer, a strong rival to their FIFA property. If that happens, I can easily see the companies you mention champing at the bit for those properties.

This news reads to me as a lot of work will be outsourced to third parties, and until Konami explicitely mentions auctioning off properties, I don't think there's much cause for alarm. As for if these games will be any good, any minor loss of 'Konami Kuality' is worth the better working conditions of those studios. I'm sure I needn't remind people of the prison-like conditions employees faced working in Konami...

Edited by Withywarlock

Yeah, they have no plans of selling their properties at the moment, at least not yet. I think theyir main intention is to just find studios that can outsource their work to. Konami could easily be a publisher if they want to, and get a few studios under their belt to produce something. 

And who knows, they could work with Sony for all we know and make exclusives there. I doubt they'd work with any Xbox properties or Nintendo. But I can see them working with Sony. 

On 2/22/2021 at 2:28 PM, skyfire said:

I think marvel, DC and few other brands do the license giveaway for the studios all the time. That can be one way the justice can be done for their projects too. 

I wouldn't say "giveaway", it's more like licenced or they're paid to produce content for that publisher/company. But you are correct, many companies licence their properties for other things. For example, Funko toys license properties from pretty much every company out there. They do DC, Marvel, Disney, Fox, and pretty much every other property out there at the moment. 

11 hours ago, Kane99 said:

I wouldn't say "giveaway", it's more like licenced or they're paid to produce content for that publisher/company. But you are correct, many companies licence their properties for other things. For example, Funko toys license properties from pretty much every company out there. They do DC, Marvel, Disney, Fox, and pretty much every other property out there at the moment. 

I used the word giveaway as a means to show the tender type deal. Often those deals are time limited hence the word giveaway. It was not meant as same as some prize money or so.