Register Now
StaceyPowers

Most lifelike follower behaviour (when following)?

On 5/16/2021 at 11:46 PM, StaceyPowers said:

What games feature companions who seem most real and lifelike while following? I think Elizabeth in BioShock Infinite and Ellie in TLOU are still the best I’ve seen.

I couldn't agree any less with Elizabeth in BioShock Infinite. She's a perfect example of such character that felt most real. 

Honestly, I don't think I've played a game to date that really gets this right, and I am including TLOU in that bracket. So sorry, @StaceyPowers, but I think you're wrong. Ellie (and the other followers in TLOU) only behaved like people during very scripted moments. Otherwise, they had a habit of getting in the way, taking cover at your position instead of flanking and running around in front of enemies during stealth and somehow not being spotted. Now, I get that last part because in terms of gameplay because it really wouldn't be fair to have your position discovered on account of confused follower AI, but it still breaks immersion. TLOU2 improved a lot, but it ways still not perfect and, if anything, relied more heavily of scripted scenarios to make the follower AI work. At least the followers in that game were actually able to hit enemies and make some contribution in combat, and that is more than I can say for a lot of other games.

1 hour ago, The Blackangel said:

I would say John or Lenny in RDR2. They're always down to go on a robbery with Arthur.

Arthur, who is the master planner when it comes to the art of being finesse at robbery with them. 

1 hour ago, Shagger said:

Honestly, I don't think I've played a game to date that really gets this right, and I am including TLOU in that bracket. So sorry, @StaceyPowers, but I think you're wrong

Well, for context, my basis of comparison is games like Skyrim where followers are like 100% wooden =D

2 hours ago, StaceyPowers said:

Well, for context, my basis of comparison is games like Skyrim where followers are like 100% wooden =D

For the fact that Skyrim is is an open world action role-playing video is something that I fancy so much about it.