Register Now
killamch89

Sony Faces Mass Backlash After Borderlands 3 Crossplay Is Blocked Only On PlayStation (PS4 & PS5)

Why am I not surprised by Sony's actions? This came up in the Epic vs Apple case where some documents revealed that devs have to pay Sony for crossplay and now we see this? I say it all the time nowadays - who is making these stupid decisions at Sony? What's really going on with them?

I feel that it another business man is trying to take their money in another form charge extra or tariff taxes in business sense. Which cross the bottom line. Simple example is the internet some ISP have hidden charges or over prices cost. Their goal is max profit and hate charges while other profit more rich.

As far as I know, the reason Sony do this is because they don't want premium items being shown on games they host that weren't bought from PSN. For example, if you see a really cool car skin on Rocket League, Sony only want people who admire the skin to buy it from PSN. If it was bought somewhere else, they don't want it shown on a PlayStation game, even if it's a multiplatform title. It's ridiculous.

Edited by Shagger

To be fair I can kinda see their point.  It's an issue of how the revenue is split for in game items if people from all platforms can see them which can be a bit of an issue especially if it's content that's supposed to be exclusive to one platform.  They need a better and more clear solution.

Edited by Crazycrab

23 hours ago, Shagger said:

As far as I know, the reason Sony do this is because they don't want premium items being shown on games they host that weren't bought from PSN. For example, if you see a really cool car skin on Rocket League, Sony only want people who admire the skin to buy it from PSN. If it was bought somewhere else, they don't want it shown on a PlayStation game, even if it's a multiplatform title. It's ridiculous.

In addition to their Royalty system for crossplay which means Sony has to benefit financially in all scenarios or else no crossplay which is absolutely outrageous. Over the past decade, Sony has become incredibly anti-consumer and I hope most long-time Sony supporters will come to this realization.

10 years ago, Sony was the one wanting this during the 360/PS3 era due to low population numbers on some games. But MS had to turn them away due to legal issues and contracts for some of those games inc COD iirc that had Xbox deals for early content. But at least MS was open about why. Think of the kids is, not an open reason as to why.

10 hours ago, Empire said:

10 years ago, Sony was the one wanting this during the 360/PS3 era due to low population numbers on some games. But MS had to turn them away due to legal issues and contracts for some of those games inc COD iirc that had Xbox deals for early content. But at least MS was open about why. Think of the kids is, not an open reason as to why.

I agree, it took a court case between two other companies for this to come to light. I may have supported Sony since I was a kid but I'm not that blind that I can't see the glaring issues with how they go about business especially in recent years.