Register Now
killamch89

Do you prefer fiction or nonfiction books?

I like fiction. I’m not exactly sure why. They’re probably in the same boat as gaming, in that it’s an escape to another world. Also the books and stories that I write are always fiction. I do have a couple things milling about in my head (had to do something with all that empty space) that are nonfiction. But I’m nowhere near starting on them.

I’m not saying one is superior to the other. If my reply came off that way, that was not my intent. I’ve read a lot of of nonfiction as well. I recently got one that I’ve been looking forward to for a while.

Self help books can be great if you have the self discipline to stick to the lessons in it. One of the best I ever read was Shut Up, Stop Whining, And Get A Life. I don’t remember the name of the author, but I do remember him being called the “pitbull of self help gurus” or something along those lines.

I also enjoy reading a lot of of philosophy, and historical accounts of different things.

I used to be into nonfiction books like history, philosophy, health, science, psychology; but it has become strictly fiction now. My brain requires entertainment and to be taken to another world. I will rub my toes on my rifle while I read fantasy. Reality I know what is coming; a reminder; war; mayhem; genocide; fire; destruction; I'm breaking away into fantasyland. The real world is ice cold. I sip my tea and take in the wonderful thoughts of fantasy. That swallow was bitter; a quick reminder of war to come; I keep reading...Beautiful worlds, interesting characters; but tomorrow I may have to fight. I turn the page. Dragons and castles; magic and heroism; true heroes; the righteous; where the righteous has a clear definition; but in the real world I am faced with too much stupidity. I ponder the beautiful world I just read; and a split second thought creeps in that I may have to fight a war; a war to protect the good; I keep reading; it is peaceful; yet there is violence; the distinction between good and evil is clear; that barrel is cold; soon it will catch fire; it will have to protect me; it will cry and leave black powder stains in its wake; the real world becomes a war; a war that never should have happened if people had any conscious morality; but I will defend what is good; the day is coming; I turn the page; oh yeah; monsters and magic in a beautifully made up world; creativity that leaves me imagining it as I lay to sleep; it could be tomorrow I fight a war; but tonight I dream about better places; war... fantasy... war...fantasy...reality...war...reality...fantasy... fiction...nonfiction...war...oh god help us all...

7 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

I like fiction. I’m not exactly sure why. They’re probably in the same boat as gaming, in that it’s an escape to another world. Also the books and stories that I write are always fiction. I do have a couple things milling about in my head (had to do something with all that empty space) that are nonfiction. But I’m nowhere near starting on them.

I totally understand your reasoning - reading does get the imagination going and if the book is really immersive, you can really get caught up in the story.

7 hours ago, Empire said:

I far prefer nonfiction books, though not for any snobby reasons. I don’t consider nonfiction to be superior to fiction; it’s just a personal preference.

Totally understand and I do agree to an extent.

4 hours ago, Reality vs Adventure said:

I used to be into nonfiction books like history, philosophy, health, science, psychology; but it has become strictly fiction now. My brain requires entertainment and to be taken to another world. I will rub my toes on my rifle while I read fantasy. Reality I know what is coming; a reminder; war; mayhem; genocide; fire; destruction; I'm breaking away into fantasyland. The real world is ice cold. I sip my tea and take in the wonderful thoughts of fantasy. That swallow was bitter; a quick reminder of war to come; I keep reading...Beautiful worlds, interesting characters; but tomorrow I may have to fight. I turn the page. Dragons and castles; magic and heroism; true heroes; the righteous; where the righteous has a clear definition; but in the real world I am faced with too much stupidity. I ponder the beautiful world I just read; and a split second thought creeps in that I may have to fight a war; a war to protect the good; I keep reading; it is peaceful; yet there is violence; the distinction between good and evil is clear; that barrel is cold; soon it will catch fire; it will have to protect me; it will cry and leave black powder stains in its wake; the real world becomes a war; a war that never should have happened if people had any conscious morality; but I will defend what is good; the day is coming; I turn the page; oh yeah; monsters and magic in a beautifully made up world; creativity that leaves me imagining it as I lay to sleep; it could be tomorrow I fight a war; but tonight I dream about better places; war... fantasy... war...fantasy...reality...war...reality...fantasy... fiction...nonfiction...war...oh god help us all...

I do agree that nonfiction books can get tedious because you already have an idea of what to expect and most of the time, it's not very entertaining but fantasy really does get the blood pumping.