Register Now
The Blackangel

Ever bought a game as an investment?

Has anyone here ever bought a video game as an investment? Maybe a game that 's rare and you're holding onto it. An NES cartridge, or a PS2 game. I'll admit that I've done it. I bought Ducktales 2 (NES), TMNT Tournament Fighters (NES), and Secret Of Mana (SNES) not just to play, but also as a bit of an investment. They're fairly rare, and somewhat valuable games. But I'm wanting to save up the money to get the holy grail of video games when I can. Little Samson (NES). It's the single most valuable game cartridge ever produced. Unless I'm mistaken, it's the single most valuable video game ever made, due to its rarity. I know there's a couple PS2 games that are extremely valuable, but I don't think they reached Little Samson level.

So has anyone else ever bought a physical copy of a video game as an investment?

I bought a Switch game at Walmart, not because I wanted it, but because due to its popularity scalpers were reportedly buying them up and tripling the prices on them. It's Super Mario 3D All Stars. It's one that I honestly never thought I would buy, but I actually enjoy the hell out of the game.

Edited by The Blackangel

7 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

I bought a Switch game at Walmart, not because I wanted it, but because due to its popularity scalpers were reportedly buying them up and tripling the prices on them. It's Super Mario 3D All Stars. It's one that I honestly never thought I would buy, but I actually enjoy the hell out of the game.

Did you later sell the game because if you didn't and used it for your personal satisfaction, it wouldn't really be called an investment. 

7 hours ago, killamch89 said:

I have never done it before if I'm being honest and may just consider it somewhere down the line. Then again, I tend to lose a lot of things during the moving process so I might have to package it something extremely durable.

Seriously - if it's possible to make a decent amount of money from it, I do think it's something that's worth considering. 

No, I have it in my Switch case and play it once in a while. I kept it in the plastic wrap that all the games come in for a while, but after seeing nothing happen, I started using it. Three awesome games in one? No loss there, especially since one of them is a longtime favorite of mine. Mario 64 is a great game, and being able to have it portable, is worth every penny. I can't count the number of times I have been out, and started jonesing for a Mario 64 fix. Upon getting home, I played all damn day, and got my ass kicked over and over for the most part. But I cleared it, and got the full 120 stars. Which is one of the most difficult things in gaming history to do, if you ask me. That's just my opinion. I'm sure there are others who will argue that point with me.

12 minutes ago, The Blackangel said:

No, I have it in my Switch case and play it once in a while. I kept it in the plastic wrap that all the games come in for a while, but after seeing nothing happen, I started using it. Three awesome games in one? No loss there, especially since one of them is a longtime favorite of mine. Mario 64 is a great game, and being able to have it portable, is worth every penny. I can't count the number of times I have been out, and started jonesing for a Mario 64 fix. Upon getting home, I played all damn day, and got my ass kicked over and over for the most part. But I cleared it, and got the full 120 stars. Which is one of the most difficult things in gaming history to do, if you ask me. That's just my opinion. I'm sure there are others who will argue that point with me.

There is absolutely nothing with still being a huge fan of Mario 64. I personally enjoy playing it till date and it's my niece favorite game even up till now she's 7 years old. 

15 hours ago, Heatman said:

Seriously - if it's possible to make a decent amount of money from it, I do think it's something that's worth considering. 

Timing also has to be right because if the demand isn't there, you'll have to sell for a way lower price. Whereas at the height of the demand, you can get tens to hundreds of thousands of dollars for said game.

17 hours ago, killamch89 said:

Timing also has to be right because if the demand isn't there, you'll have to sell for a way lower price. Whereas at the height of the demand, you can get tens to hundreds of thousands of dollars for said game.

Yeah - everything is subject to the law of demand and supply. Once the demand is higher and supply is low, you can sell well at exorbitant prices. 

17 hours ago, Family sedan said:

I'm so wrapped up in collecting and deciding when and how to sell toy car die cast that I'm not considering collecting games as investments at the moment.

For how long have been collecting and how many have you collected so far?