Register Now
StaceyPowers

Do you find it easy to miss instructions in video games?

Icewind Dale and Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition is the worst offender of this I've ever seen. The instructions exist, but not in the game. You have to use the PDF that came with the games, but who remembers how to do that on Steam? Who has ever needed to find an instruction manual for a remaster? And these the kind of game where you need the book, or someone to explain it, because ThAC0 and the other rules are complicated as all the Nine Hells.

It was one thing to expect players to know how it worked because it was based on Advanced Dungeons & Dragons 2nd Edition, which was the latest edition at the time and only D&D players would be playing this sort of game. But when these are some of the highest regarded RPGs of all time, a remaster's the perfect time to add the instructions in. They had time to retexture the coffee-bean JPG cobblestones into something more believable, I imagine they had the time to give a brief tutorial on why your stats going into minus figures is a good thing.

14 hours ago, Heatman said:

This only happens when I get to miss reading these instructions on purpose and it's probably I got some experience with that kind of games, so playing it without worrying about the instructions won't matter. 

Sometimes, I'm just excited to start the game and will try to figure it out while I'm playing so I ignore the instructions.

6 hours ago, killamch89 said:

Sometimes, I'm just excited to start the game and will try to figure it out while I'm playing so I ignore the instructions.

Seriously - I have actually been on that road on several occasions that I can count. It's only when I get stuck that I'd be like I should have checked out the instructions.