Register Now
StaceyPowers

Suggestion for Mass Effect Fans: Watch the 2004 BSG

I feel Mass Effect was in some respects a spiritual successor to the 2004 remake of Battlestar Galactica (which seems quite deliberate, what with even casting multiple actors from the show for the games). I feel having watched the show really enhanced my experience of the games and made the ending I chose more satisfying. So, I highly recommend the show to any Mass Effect fans who haven’t seen it.

4 hours ago, m76 said:

I did see BSG but I never saw any parallels between it and Mass Effect.

Oh, there is one parallel though. The ending of both were pretty bad.

This is what I'm talking about with you. In three sentences there is no attempt to engage with what the OP is saying, nor an attempt to express why you feel they way you do. Those three sentences may well have been;

4 hours ago, m76 said:

I know all there is to know about this.

I am right. Hear me and obey.

There is no attempt to gauge a greater explanation from the OP (in this case @StaceyPowers) for any form of clarification or explanation. No attempt to seek context nor perspective. There was literally not one question asked at all.  Not one actual challenge nor agreement to the OP's opinion(s).Just a declaration that you're right, don't question it.

A forum by it's very definition is about the free expression of opinions and ideas, and as a mod I would defend your right to that to the hills, but that doesn't change the fact that engaging with forum members in this condescending, irrespective, disrespectful manner is wrong and in direct contradiction of thier right to do the same. I don't know who you think you are and think of me what you want, but you will show other members, especially thread authors, more respect than this.

Edited by Shagger

8 hours ago, m76 said:

I did see BSG but I never saw any parallels between it and Mass Effect.

Oh, there is one parallel though. The ending of both were pretty bad.

Parallels, leaving out spoilers:

1-The Quarian fleet and the Colonial fleet. The Geth and the Cylons.

2-Tricia Helfer's Six in BSG and EDI in Mass Effect clearly have some parallels. This was not a coincidence, given the casting.

3-Both stories focus on conflict between organics and synthetics (albeit organic synthetics in BSG).

4-Both stories focus on overcoming prejudice.

5-Picking the "green" ending in ME3 has somewhat parallel results to some aspects of BSG's ending.

-"All of this has happened before/all of this will happen again." Both BSG and ME focus on cycles of violence between organics and their creations, and putting an end to those cycles.

4 hours ago, Shagger said:

but you will show other members, especially thread authors, more respect than this.

Thank you, @Shagger.

On 9/1/2021 at 6:14 AM, StaceyPowers said:

3-Both stories focus on conflict between organics and synthetics (albeit organic synthetics in BSG).

4-Both stories focus on overcoming prejudice.

Those parallels are the ones that were very distinct for me to pick out from both games. On the part of overcoming prejudice, it was very obvious from the plot development in characters of the games.