Register Now
m76

Games that are better than their sequels

When a game finds success there is usually one thing that always happens: A sequel gets made for it. For this topic let's talk about successful games where their sequel failed to live up to the high bar set by the first game.

Here is my list:

Audiosurf: I still occasionally play the original, but the sequel is just not as fun or engaging, so I barely played it when it came out and went back to the first one
Defense Grid: Same here, I finished the second game once and never touched it again, it is soulless and sterile compared to the first, which I keep regularly playing to this day
Far Cry: The second game couldn't have less in common with the first, which was immersive had great graphics and was enjoyable. The second one is frustrating, sacrificing immersion for weird mechanics and doesn't look nearly as good.
Mafia: The first game is one of the best games of all time. The second is an unfinished mess
Need for Speed: The first one was a car enthusiast's dream, the second one is much less impressive and become a generic arcade racer.
Test Drive Unlimited: The first game is the ultimate street driving game, but the second fails to add anything of worth and is more an NFS wannabe than it's own thing.

Edited by m76

Bad sequels to great games are depressing, a company gets a hit and then decides to strike the iron while it's hot or make creative decisions that alienate the original fanbase to reach a wider audience.

Dungeon Keeper

When comparing Dungeon Keeper to Dungeon Keeper 2, the sequel is in many technical aspects an improvement.  Better visuals, more modes, much improved UI and design choices that made it better balanced.  However, I still consider the original superior mostly for one reason, atmosphere.  The original was dark with really twisted sense of humour whereas the sequel was much more slapstick and cartoonish, probably the results of wanting to market to a wider audience.

Just compare the intro videos for each game and you'll get some idea of what I mean.

DK

DK 2

Devil May Cry

Of course this game has more than one follow up some of which actually make big improvements.  For now I'm gonna focus on the jump from the original Devil May Cry to Devil May Cry 2 which was probably the biggest step down I've ever experienced.  They transformed one of the slickest and most perfectly controlled hack and slash games ever into a ugly, cumbersome, clichéd and totally incompetent mess.  I swear the assets were gathered from the recycle bins of Capcom staff working on other franchise's.  Take a look at this and tell me what other popular Capcom franchise thing this clearly originally made for:

8 hours ago, Crazycrab said:

Bad sequels to great games are depressing, a company gets a hit and then decides to strike the iron while it's hot or make creative decisions that alienate the original fanbase to reach a wider audience.

Dungeon Keeper

When comparing Dungeon Keeper to Dungeon Keeper 2, the sequel is in many technical aspects an improvement.  Better visuals, more modes, much improved UI and design choices that made it better balanced.  However, I still consider the original superior mostly for one reason, atmosphere.  The original was dark with really twisted sense of humour whereas the sequel was much more slapstick and cartoonish, probably the results of wanting to market to a wider audience.

Just compare the intro videos for each game and you'll get some idea of what I mean.

DK

DK 2

Devil May Cry

Of course this game has more than one follow up some of which actually make big improvements.  For now I'm gonna focus on the jump from the original Devil May Cry to Devil May Cry 2 which was probably the biggest step down I've ever experienced.  They transformed one of the slickest and most perfectly controlled hack and slash games ever into a ugly, cumbersome, clichéd and totally incompetent mess.  I swear the assets were gathered from the recycle bins of Capcom staff working on other franchise's.  Take a look at this and tell me what other popular Capcom franchise thing this clearly originally made for:

I totally agree about Devil May Cry 2 - it was such a letdown. I mean it still was a good game but nowhere near the standard of the first game especially in the storytelling department.

2 hours ago, killamch89 said:

I totally agree about Devil May Cry 2 - it was such a letdown. I mean it still was a good game but nowhere near the standard of the first game especially in the storytelling department.

Devil May Cry 2 was a big disappointment to a lot of fans who really enjoyed the former one. I wonder why these companies makes such big mistakes with their games?