Register Now
Shagger

My experience with Nioh (F*** GAMES THAT DON'T PAUSE!)

Tried to launch the game at 1080p, and it crashed immediately. I had to run the game at a higher resolution to then have the GeForce app override the in game setting to bring it back to 1080p. That's already ridiculous.

Next, when I got into the game, one starts off in a cell as a prisoner. I quickly noticed the UI was displaying the console controls instead of M/K as I knocked down a wall into another cell (something you apparently have to do). So I opened the menu, into the setting to see if this could be changed, when I was attacked by a guard whilst doing so. My heart then sank as then I knew what kind of game this was. A "From Software" clone trying to be Dark Souls in every aspect including this ridiculous idea that game doesn't pause. I'm going to uninstall Nioh and never play it again.

I'm not gonna turn this into a massively long rant about how god damb stupid it is to programme a game this way because it's obvious why. Pausing is a basic, quality of life feature that games need, end of story. Omitting the pause feature doesn't make a game more challenging, only more fussy and arrogant, like "How dare you go into the menu and expect me to stop for your convivence!". 

So f*** Nioh, f*** Dark Souls, f***Demon Souls, f*** Bloodborne and ever other game with this pointless, regressive and utterly stupid feature.

Edited by Shagger

Yes exactly why on earth do they do this, I like these games they are good but sometimes you have to take a piss or answer a phone a call and you cant do that in the middle of a fight or a boss fight. In mortal shell I lost a fight to a boss which I was close to defeating all because somebody was at the door and I couldnt pause the game. I uninstalled Remnant: Rise from the Ashes for the same reason. I dont see the reason to this, and souls games are not the only ones who do this. For example like wolfenstein Youngblood  or monster hunter world

1 hour ago, kingpotato said:

Yes exactly why on earth do they do this, I like these games they are good but sometimes you have to take a piss or answer a phone a call and you cant do that in the middle of a fight or a boss fight. In mortal shell I lost a fight to a boss which I was close to defeating all because somebody was at the door and I couldnt pause the game. I uninstalled Remnant: Rise from the Ashes for the same reason. I dont see the reason to this, and souls games are not the only ones who do this. For example like wolfenstein Youngblood  or monster hunter world

Some games, like Remnant and Monster Hunter, do have online components that necessitate the game world itself being sustained in real time. Not that it isn't annoying in those games as well at times, bit I can least understand why it's necessary. But for single player games , there is no excuse for this.

And before anyone says anything, that thing Demon's Souls dose with messages from other players left behind by thier "ghosts" doesn't count. Firstly, it doesn't work because people just post whatever they want, even complete lies about what's ahead, and it is indistinguishable from the truth, rendering the mechanic completely pointless. Secondly, those "ghosts" loop in and loop out of the game periodically, there is no interaction with any players sustained, live world in thier own game. It's actually more similar to how the pawns worked in Dragon's Dogma. The difference is (Well, one of several, chief among witch being that pawns actually HELP you) that those ghosts only appear when the other player is actually logged in online, whereas in Dragon's Dogma the data is loaded from the other players save data. You can have that feature in DS, and still allow the game to pause, just like in Dragon's Dogma.

Edited by Shagger

One of many things that turn me off to online games is no pause.That's a big no go from me. I played some Bloodborne and killed the weak monster and got to the next level with a bunch of dudes I had to kill but if I died I always came back to those dudes. Does that change later in the game? If so I'll uninstall it tonite.