Register Now
PGen98

Is Gaming on Linux A Worthwhile Experience?

On 10/4/2021 at 2:22 AM, skyfire said:

I think most of the games are coming out with the linux version so not a lot is lost in that process. but we will see how it goes though you never know how some things can be. 

Yeah - Linux still has some ways to go before it can be considered a viable alternative for Windows.

21 hours ago, skyfire said:

Consumer wise I think it has reached a long way. And what you can do on windows is now possible on linux. including running android apps and windows apps too. So the issue is just dev making money and establishing commerce on linux. 

The thing with running android apps and windows apps on Linux is that it's still not that smooth in terms of functionality.

I'm in the process of ditching Windows for Linux gaming.It helps I don't game online.And Steam is my primary pc gaming app.I go in Steam and open Lutris and it will launch the game.It does take some tinkering but it's really worth it. hell My steam controller even works with Stalker and I couldn't get it to work through Windows.

I admit I've gone down a few rabbit holes but it's been worth it. Origin and Ubi's nlauncher still suck bad though that's no fault of Linux.

True skyfire. My problem is finding an app similar to afterburner on Linux. I can play lower demand games but even after cleaning and re pasting the gpu it still runs hot playing higher demand games.It's been a dead end trying to get an app that can run my gpu fans at a higher rate on Linux.I don't use the office apps so I don't have to worry about that. Linux has made progress but still has a ways to go for sure.

And as far as ease of use, windows wins for sure.I'm simply fed up with windows at this point.Windows 10 has a few years of life so hopefully by then Linux will be better.

Meh. We disagree. Which is fine.I started on Win 98 and the last couple years I've been more frustrated  with Win 10. I've been on 10 about 1.5 years and I'm sick of MS trying to control my pc.It's unacceptable to me.I fully understand people that stick with Windows.It takes time and effort to get gaming on Linux but I've been playing with Linux Mint for a couple years so that makes it easier for me.

I definitely need to figure out how to ramp up the fan speed on my GPU through Mint.Even with cleaning and re pasting my rx 570 8 GB Vram card gets really hot without turning the fans up.So I can't play many current games through Mint right now.But I'm starting to get to grips with fan control on Mint. Also I'm lucky I don't need to use Win 10 for work so I have a choice.I understand the people that don't want to tinker with things and just use Windows.I was like that once.

On 4/7/2022 at 6:01 PM, egghead said:

I have never used Linux, but I hear that linux is good for developer, which I guess also means good for gamer.

For games? too early. I think they are yet to get good for the games. they have limited options for now. but in near future that may change.