Register Now
PGen98

Is Gaming on Linux A Worthwhile Experience?

Do you feel that gaming on Linux has reached a point where it is now essentially in line with mainstream Windows gaming?  Obviously some games still don't work on Linux or have never been properly ported over to the system; however, for the most part, Linux is now more or less on par with Windows for gaming and has a great deal to offer the gaming enthusiast.  Do you think gaming on Linux is a worthwhile experience, or do you feel it still has a long way to go?

The fact that not all games work on Linux is a deal breaker for me. I haven't check recently how the two OS's stack up in terms of how games run, but at best it offers similar performance. Not to mention Windows 11 is right around the corner and if it's as gaming centric as Microsoft is claiming it to be with the performance improvements it's boasting, Linux might find itself on the back foot again. If one owns a gaming PC or laptop with Windows 10 on it right now that's got the guts to work with Windows 11, this is not a good time to give Linux a try.

17 minutes ago, Shagger said:

The fact that not all games work on Linux is a deal breaker for me. I haven't check recently how the two OS's stack up in terms of how games run, but at best it offers similar performance. Not to mention Windows 11 is right around the corner and if it's as gaming centric as Microsoft is claiming it to be with the performance improvements it's boasting, Linux might find itself on the back foot again. If one owns a gaming PC or laptop with Windows 10 on it right now that's got the guts to work with Windows 11, this is not a good time to give Linux a try.

Those are fair points, but Linux is gaining ground almost by the day at this point.  Every release brings it closer to parity with Windows, so while not all games work at the moment, that isn't to suggest there won't be workarounds or software available that can help with that.  Plus, if you find a game that doesn't run on Linux, even with Wine, VMs are an option!

It depends. Linux is great for daily task, but not for gaming. You can assign your windows boot drive to kvm, and use pci passthrough. It can perform like a real machine. However, VAC hate virtual machine and you may have problem because of it. Then again Linux actually does have quite a bit of gaming-potential. Why? Because of all the types of images, and forms of Linux-based images.

Linux is known for being an open-source, user friendly kernel, community funded operating systems. Ranging from a simple Debian-based desktop all the way to an ethical hacking suite run on Kali Linux.

It's a difficult question to answer because I've only ever looked into this a bit and haven't gone any further with it but gaming on Linux is very tricky as you'll be missing certain features that have become a staple of Windows. What I will say is that Linux has come a long way in terms of functionality compared to 5 years ago but it still needs more work and more compatibility before it can be used for a worthwhile gaming experience.

On 9/26/2021 at 5:33 AM, Head_Hunter said:

Windows PC is my preferred option when it comes to playing video games.  My PC is a Windows 8.1 pro, which accesses quality PC games, that is almost like PS4 console. 

Linux is currently playing both it's own apps and also the windows apps and android apps in it. So the performance wise it's pretty good. 

On 9/29/2021 at 3:13 AM, skyfire said:

Linux is currently playing both it's own apps and also the windows apps and android apps in it. So the performance wise it's pretty good. 

It's simply a versatile kind of PC device. I am not using Linux, but I've gotten information about it's quality. With what you said about them summed it up. 

On 9/28/2021 at 9:13 PM, skyfire said:

Wine is a good software for running Windows apps. I've heard a lot about it from some Linux users.

2 hours ago, killamch89 said:

Wine is a good software for running Windows apps. I've heard a lot about it from some Linux users.

Wine and another one is crossover which is paid version. I think both are good for playing windows apps. In near future most of the apps would be on linux too.