Register Now
StaceyPowers

Is the vampirism curse/quest in Oblivion just too much?

Moving this topic from General Gaming" to "Video Games as this topic is about a specific game.

Without fan-made mods and patches, the vampirism cure quest in Oblivion is even worse as it completely messes up your character's face making you character appear to age. Being a vampire in Oblivion yields pretty much no benefits at all given how the magic system works. Being a vampire is a little more fun is Skyrim with the vampire lord, but it still isn't brilliant.

Edited by Shagger

Before I give my opinion, here's a link to the quest and a brief rundown of what it entails:

1. Work your way through various referrals: from Raminus Polus, to Count Janus Hassildor of Skingrad to Melisande in Drakelowe.
  2. Retrieve five empty Grand Soul Gems to get Melisande to help you.
  3. Collect bloodgrass, nightshade, garlic, blood of an argonian and the ashes of a powerful vampire for the potion.
  4. Retrieve the potion, and take it back to Janus Hassildor for a reward.

I'll freely admit I'm bias toward vampires in this series because the fantasy behind them is magnificant. Thematically, vampires are the most dreadful creature a typical character in The Elder Scrolls will come across, save of course for if they're around during the appearance of daedra or dragons. If non-players are afflicted they probably won't be in much position to look it up without arousing great suspicion. They won't even know what it is until their hunger gets the best of them, and there's no way they can return to town and get help after committing such a crime. I think at that point many that don't die would be enbittered by their (self-)exile and would rather use their newfound power to forge their own path.

So mechanically, I think this reflects the theme. You are given a chance, if reluctantly, by people who can save you. And it's no wonder you don't hear how often people get cured with how long and dangerous the undertaking is. That said, as others rightly point out, the mechanics to being a vampire are not the same as the theme. You're not the Master Vampire from 'Salem's Lot, and even the ease of attaining the Vampire Lord form in Skyrim cheapens the experience of being one.

I've mixed feelings on it. I'm glad the option is there, but I would rather only have the option after I've fully committed to it and, upon meeting other vampires who may be friendly, would I come across some who might work to find a cure. They can't all be evil... right?

Better yet, use the Font of Renewal in the Vile Lair DLC.