Register Now
Kane99

When are we getting a new Donkey Kong game?

Wasn't the last official release back in 2014 with Tropical Freeze? I know that was re-released for the Switch in 2018, but I don't think we've since had a new Donkey Kong Country game on the switch. Maybe it's time we get a new Donkey Kong Country game. What would you hope to see in a new game? 

On 11/28/2021 at 9:33 PM, Kane99 said:

Wasn't the last official release back in 2014 with Tropical Freeze? I know that was re-released for the Switch in 2018, but I don't think we've since had a new Donkey Kong Country game on the switch. Maybe it's time we get a new Donkey Kong Country game. What would you hope to see in a new game? 

There are rumors that Nintendo is working on a new DK game by the same developers that made Super Mario Oddisey, according to the rumors its not going to be a 2d platformer, most likely a 3d hybrid

1 hour ago, kingpotato said:

There are rumors that Nintendo is working on a new DK game by the same developers that made Super Mario Oddisey, according to the rumors its not going to be a 2d platformer, most likely a 3d hybrid

That would make sense. Nintendo and co really like to do a mix of genres in their games, so I could see that happening for a new Donkey Kong game. Just hope something comes out soon. I may pick up a switch just for it. 😄 

I thought Monster games was being groomed to take over from Retro with their work on the 3ds port alas that never came to be. Tropical freeze still sells well I would love to see it but I have my doubts. Likely someone outside of Retro would have to take it over I suspect. Maybe next level?

I'm not sure to be honest - I haven't really seen any rumors about a game developed and no reputable leakers have heard anything about a new Donkey Kong game. Nintendo tends to prioritize Mario games more as he's the most popular character they have so don't expect a Donkey Kong game anytime soon.