Register Now
Kane99

Game preservation

54 minutes ago, Justin11 said:

Their is nothing like recycling around video game CDs. Just make do of those CDs and move on. It will be hard to revive them, unless you want to take them back to their various devs to help you on that aspect. 

If the CDs are dead, they are dead. There is absolutely nothing to do in order to get them working again. 

Just now, Justin11 said:

Yes, I believe when he comes online, he wouldn't worry much, just do away with the dead games and move on. 

Well, that's one of the biggest reasons why I do prefer getting my video games on soft copy all the time and most of the time. 

Just now, Boblee said:

Well, that's one of the biggest reasons why I do prefer getting my video games on soft copy all the time and most of the time. 

Due to such kind of situation where your game stops due to dead disc. Digital version is the more preferred option because it wouldn't corrupt easily. 

1 minute ago, Justin11 said:

Due to such kind of situation where your game stops due to dead disc. Digital version is the more preferred option because it wouldn't corrupt easily. 

As for as I'm concerned, it's the best for me. It's not that I don't get disc from time to time but I prefer to download my games mostly. 

4 minutes ago, Boblee said:

As for as I'm concerned, it's the best for me. It's not that I don't get disc from time to time but I prefer to download my games mostly. 

Downloadable contents are better, since you wouldn't suffer surprising dead game stuff, your games will be around for you for years. 

1 hour ago, Boblee said:

If the CDs are dead, they are dead. There is absolutely nothing to do in order to get them working again. 

Yup, once a CD, DVD, etc starts to degrade, or go through disc rot, then that disc will become unusable soon after. Unfortunately CDs will not survive forever. Carts might, but even they have a shelf life. CDs can't be repaired either. Scratches can be fixed somewhat, but eventually it'll run its course and degrade. That's why I'm all for preservation of video games, because eventually those carts, cds, sd cards and so on, will degrade and be lost to time. But if we have a database of all games that we can go back to anytime, that would make life so much easier. 

7 hours ago, Kane99 said:

Yeah cart based games last a lot longer, but they too will eventually degrade over time. It'll just take longer. Disc based games degrade faster because of the plastics and metal used in the discs. I think blu-rays last longer, but even those have a shelf life of like 20-30 years. 

Yeah, Blu-rays do last longer. It's why they are made in that way because a lot of data had been lost to the other format. 

On 2/24/2022 at 2:23 AM, Kane99 said:

Yup, once a CD, DVD, etc starts to degrade, or go through disc rot, then that disc will become unusable soon after. Unfortunately CDs will not survive forever. Carts might, but even they have a shelf life. CDs can't be repaired either. Scratches can be fixed somewhat, but eventually it'll run its course and degrade. That's why I'm all for preservation of video games, because eventually those carts, cds, sd cards and so on, will degrade and be lost to time. But if we have a database of all games that we can go back to anytime, that would make life so much easier. 

There is no going back for such disc when it wear off. It's the sorry end of all CDs and there is nothing to do about it which is why most people prefer soft copies now. 

24 minutes ago, Boblee said:

There is no going back for such disc when it wear off. It's the sorry end of all CDs and there is nothing to do about it which is why most people prefer soft copies now. 

Seriously, you ain't going to have such degrading problems with game's software copies.