Register Now
Kane99

Game preservation

At some point, video games will degrade over time and be lost to time. It is inevitable, which is why I am for game preservation for older and retro games. Especially if the device you can play them on, is no longer available. And if the copyright is lost, those games become part of the public domain, which means that sites like the way back machine, who have sections for dos games, can submit them legally. 

We'll never see games from Nintendo themselves, being added to any game preservation, because they already did that when they put their games out digitally. But, there are other studios that made games back then, and it's possible some of those games could hit the public domain one day. 

I just hope that all video games get preserved somehow, so that we never lose the games we all grew up playing. 

3 hours ago, Heatman said:

Seriously, I believe that some of these games would definitely find ways to preserve themselves. Gamers will definitely have a big say in that happening as well. 

You're absolutely correct my friend. It's where game's collectors plays a big part in the history and preservation of games. 

9 hours ago, Boblee said:

You're absolutely correct my friend. It's where game's collectors plays a big part in the history and preservation of games. 

Exactly, as long as they find a good way of keeping those games to pass them on, makes it one example of preserving the games. 

11 hours ago, Justin11 said:

The more you play the bigger you have in your backlog, and a good way to preserve video games. Unless you're the type that offers video games to your friend. 

That's for a fact true. Remember the post about a gaming inventory that's worth over $1.6 million dollars, that's really a lot. 

On 1/25/2022 at 10:15 AM, Boblee said:

That's for a fact true. Remember the post about a gaming inventory that's worth over $1.6 million dollars, that's really a lot. 

Only that game stockpile alone is more than enough to preserve thousands of video games that most people haven't even come across. 

The point of preservation is to make sure we have access to those long gone games, years from now. Many DOS games for example are lost to time, because they never got backed up anywhere. It's sad to think, because there are probably so many classics we'll never get to play, because they were released in a small batch and the master file is long gone. 

That's why whenever I see old PC games, ones on thin floppies for like DOS, COmmodore etc. Because who knows what games you may find out there in the wild that may end up being rare or something. 

1 minute ago, Kane99 said:

The point of preservation is to make sure we have access to those long gone games, years from now. Many DOS games for example are lost to time, because they never got backed up anywhere. It's sad to think, because there are probably so many classics we'll never get to play, because they were released in a small batch and the master file is long gone. 

That's why whenever I see old PC games, ones on thin floppies for like DOS, COmmodore etc. Because who knows what games you may find out there in the wild that may end up being rare or something. 

It's a really big shame that such games are lost to time because of no backup anywhere which is something that could have easily been done but didn't I suppose. 

One of the few games I played on PC was on an old 286 with a 2g hard drive. Who remembers having a hard drive that small but at the time thinking they had a massive one? Hell a single game today takes 20 times that much space just to load. Anyway, the game was called ZZT. I'm willing to bet that no one here has ever heard of it. It was an extremely simple DOS game, and was really fun as hell, once you figured shit out.

Edited by The Blackangel

31 minutes ago, The Blackangel said:

One of the few games I played on PC was on an old 286 with a 2g hard drive. Who remembers having a hard drive that small but at the time thinking they had a massive one? Hell a single game today takes 20 times that much space just to load. Anyway, the game was called ZZT. I'm willing to bet that no one here has ever heard of it. It was an extremely simple DOS game, and was really fun as hell, once you figured shit out.

Isn't the action adventure puzzle game? I sure do know about it, although I didn't play it for too long on MS-DOS.