Register Now
kingpotato

Whats the rule on emulation discussion ?

I assume you're referring to emulation for things like playing SNES games on a PC. If that's the case, there are already a myriad of topics on the subject. I would suggest searching those first, and see if one matches what you're wanting to discuss. If none do, then feel free to make a topic in the appropriate forum. Make it simple to follow for those interested, and include everything that is needed for the conversation you're wanting to have. As long as it isn't leading to anything illegal, you should be fine.

2 minutes ago, The Blackangel said:

I assume you're referring to emulation for things like playing SNES games on a PC. If that's the case, there are already a myriad of topics on the subject. I would suggest searching those first, and see if one matches what you're wanting to discuss. If none do, then feel free to make a topic in the appropriate forum. Make it simple to follow for those interested, and include everything that is needed for the conversation you're wanting to have. As long as it isn't leading to anything illegal, you should be fine.

Thank you, yeah I know we have discussed emulation on the past, but back in November on a psp topic the emulation topic was brought up and Shagger told me not to continue any further with the discussion on vgr so thats why Im asking

The PSP used a format called UMD (Universal Media Disks) for games and movies that you would watch on the PSP console. As far as I know, no other device actually used this format. It is possible to back up PSP games to the PSP memory stick and even to a computer by connecting the PSP to a PC, but that aside the only way to read data from a UMD is on the PSP console itself. So I see using a PSP emulator as slightly different that using a PS2 emulator like PCSX2, for example, because that emulator runs the game straight from a legitimate copy of the game, and as far as I know that is not possible with PSP UMD games as the only hardware that could read them was the PSP itself. However, I have found that it is possible to run digitised UMD files through emulation without a working PSP, but issue here is you still need the ISO file of the game, and, again as far as I can tell, UMD back ups don't work that way, there are not in that format. I have to assume it's possible to convert UMD back ups so they can run on PC (otherwise piracy on PSP games wouldn't be thing at all) and I'll keep looking into that, but so far the only way I can find to run UMD games on a PC is to download said games ISO files from somewhere that almost certainly less than legal.

If anyone knows better and can offer more insight, please let me know. @kingpotato, I'll try an figure this out as quickly as possible, but rules on linking hosts of pirated software or instructions on how to bypass security on games is very clear on VGR.

Edited by Shagger

To be clear though, talk of emulation is totally fine on VGR, but talk of emulating certain platforms is a bit of a grey area as the nature of some platforms makes legitimate, legal emulation very difficult, and the PSP is certainly on of those. Still, so long as nobody post links to pirated games, the websites that host them or instructions to "crack" games, then it won't be an issue to discuss them.

2 hours ago, Shagger said:

To be clear though, talk of emulation is totally fine on VGR, but talk of emulating certain platforms is a bit of a grey area as the nature of some platforms makes legitimate, legal emulation very difficult, and the PSP is certainly on of those. Still, so long as nobody post links to pirated games, the websites that host them or instructions to "crack" games, then it won't be an issue to discuss them.

aight gotcha, so basically as long as we dont post were to get game files or related webpages or how to crack the games we are good

Just use good judgement. If you have the slightest inkling that it may not be on the level, then avoid it. Site reviews are often worthless, as the site owner can write those reviews themselves. So take anything you find with a grain of salt. If you're unsure, you can always ask @Shagger what he thinks. I'm uneducated about the entire thing, so I would be useless to ask. And @DC has a lot on his plate, so it may take a long time to hear back from him if you go that route.