Register Now
kingpotato

Favorite MetroidVania Games

According to a quick google search a metroidvania video game is a subgenre of the action-adventure game platform that is mostly two-dimensional, (2D) where the player travels through a map to collect items and gain new abilities, both of which open up the world to further exploration, Like the name states games like Metroid or Castlevania. 

My Favorite Metroidvania game is Hollow Knight, I love that game. Whats your favorite Metroidvania game ?

Btw a 2D Metroidvania Zelda Game doesnt sound bad, maybe not a main line game but maybe an indie spin off like they did with Cadence of Hyrule.

wp-1623964357350.jpg

Edited by kingpotato

28 minutes ago, kingpotato said:

Thats a good point, I have never played Darksiders 3 so I didnt think there was any 3D metroid vania games

I don't know about that.  I think the term "Metroidvania" is a bit of buzzword that's thrown around a little to loosely.  I believe it was coined with Castlevainia Symphony of the Night because is was a Castlevainia game in the style of Metroid.  These days there are lots of "Metroidvania" games that don't seem all that consistent with that description.

22 minutes ago, Crazycrab said:

I don't know about that.  I think the term "Metroidvania" is a bit of buzzword that's thrown around a little to loosely.  I believe it was coined with Castlevainia Symphony of the Night because is was a Castlevainia game in the style of Metroid.  These days there are lots of "Metroidvania" games that don't seem all that consistent with that description.

Maybe so, in another forum there was also some debate about that as well as to what metroidvania really means, some were stating that this applied only to 2D with exploration elements and others stated that even games like Batman Arkham or God of war could be consider Metroidvania game due to the power up gameplay. I myself used to consider Shovel knight as a metroidvania game but in retrospect Im not sure about that anymore. So basically yeah the term Metroidvania might not be an exact formula.