Register Now
Justin11

Do you think their should be set age limit for retirement?

If you're deeply into soccer, you'll learn that age doesn't matter at all to some players, if you allow them to keep playing without forcing some of them to retire, you'll see some playing till the day they'll die. 

I've witnessed a 75 year old Egyptian player 'Ezzeldin Bahader' who scored a debut goal just to set a record via a penalty kick. 

But the current active player is Uruguayan footballer 'Robert Carmona who is aged: 59. Many thought that Japanese sensation 'Kazuyoshi Miura' who is age '55 as of April 2022, is the oldest. But unfortunately, the Uruguayan footballer 'Robert Carmona was discovered being the oldest active player till date. While 75 year old Egyptian 'Ezzeldin Bahader is the oldest, recognized by Guinness world records as the oldest footballer in history. 

So, do you think football organizers should set an age limit to give this players much needed rest when they reach certain age? 

Their is no way a footballer can play until old age comes, he or she needs time to rest and share some stories with the family members xD. 

Edited by Justin11

40 minutes ago, killamch89 said:

No, I don't think so - if a player can play up until they're 40+ years old, then let them. They're doing what they love and the player should decide when it's time to call it quits.

Correct. Since some players body can allow them to play more years, they should carry on. It is more of the battle with their body and not with anyone else's body. 

from what i can tell, usually careers start winding down around 30-32, with retirement coming 32-35 (or at least playing in weaker leagues or teams). i think that keepers tend to play a bit longer; edwin van der sar was 40 when he retired last year. i think players tend to peak between 26-30. Even yunger then that with what they get. 

At 40+ some players performance and agility is greatly reduced as their bodies are not as vibrant as it used to be in their Early twenties. A player who has played up to 45 has reached their climax and there isn't much they cook do for the team or the football universe anymore so it is best they retire. For me any player above 40 should already be retired.

On 7/6/2022 at 11:57 AM, Empire said:

from what i can tell, usually careers start winding down around 30-32, with retirement coming 32-35 (or at least playing in weaker leagues or teams). i think that keepers tend to play a bit longer; edwin van der sar was 40 when he retired last year. i think players tend to peak between 26-30. Even yunger then that with what they get. 

Edwin van der sar' have retired long ago not last season. He's currently 51, he retires around 40, which is eleven years ago. For me players should have a certain age where they could be forced to retirement. Some do play badly when their waning down and their achievements starts counting low because they want to end on the high, just as we've seen around Gianlugi Buffon of Parma FC. 

On second thought, if  players feel they are still agile and skilled enough to play even when age is clearly not on their side they should be allowed to play as long as they are not affecting the team in any way and is still contributing positively. 

A player should be able to tell themselves to retire without been forced to so they can atleast give way for younger players to take over the mantle.

5 hours ago, Clasher said:

On second thought, if  players feel they are still agile and skilled enough to play even when age is clearly not on their side they should be allowed to play as long as they are not affecting the team in any way and is still contributing positively. 

A player should be able to tell themselves to retire without been forced to so they can atleast give way for younger players to take over the mantle.

For instance, Buffon still plays football but for a lower tier Italian side. There's nothing wrong with that at all unlike other players who'll just sit around for one last paycheck and not make any significant contributions.

2 hours ago, killamch89 said:

There's nothing wrong with that at all unlike other players who'll just sit around for one last paycheck and not make any significant contributions

Money is sometimes the propelling factor after earning over 300k weekly and now you have to retire and all those benefits are gone unless maybe you got some Investment , this makes it quite difficult for some players to let go, while some are driven by passion and just can't quit playing football even at old age.

Nope, if you made name for yourself as a pro, you wouldn't lack options to earn money just the same during your professional career as a player. You can turn your attention and becoming a coach, or work as a pundit, or an ambassador for a club in which you earned a legendary status, just as Paolo Maldini of AC Milan, whose job is a 'technical director role. 

17 hours ago, Justin11 said:

Nope, if you made name for yourself as a pro, you wouldn't lack options to earn money just the same during your professional career as a player. You can turn your attention and becoming a coach, or work as a pundit, or an ambassador for a club in which you earned a legendary status, just as Paolo Maldini of AC Milan, whose job is a 'technical director role. 

There are various examples of this such as Pep being a great player for Barca and then becoming the coach. Zidane for Madrid as well.

3 hours ago, killamch89 said:

There are various examples of this such as Pep being a great player for Barca and then becoming the coach. Zidane for Madrid as well.

Great, most of those clubs are just reverting to their club legends for guidance through their rich experiences in the field of play. And those names you mentioned are great for their respective teams, both as players and managers.