Register Now
Kane99

10 Things You Didn't Know About The Console Wars Of The 1990s

Source with list: https://www.cbr.com/things-you-didnt-know-about-the-90s-console-war/

Do you guys remember anything mentioned in the above article? I feel like I've already known most of it, aside from maybe not knowing there was a few M rated games on the SNES, and don't recall hearing about Argonaut Software and what they did for the SNES. But the rest of the list I'm mostly aware of. I know Sega of America and Sega of Japan didn't always see eye to eye, that Blast Processing was buzz words (I think the gaming historian did a video on this), 

There is one thing about the list that bugs me. #5. The PlayStation Was Almost A Nintendo And Sega Platform - I don't recall Sega ever being in the equation, and the article only mentions Sony and Nintendo. So is the Sega part true? I know of Sony working with Nintendo originally and then peacing out to make the PS1, but I don't recall them having anything to do with Sega. 

10 minutes ago, Kane99 said:

There is one thing about the list that bugs me. #5. The PlayStation Was Almost A Nintendo And Sega Platform - I don't recall Sega ever being in the equation, and the article only mentions Sony and Nintendo. So is the Sega part true? I know of Sony working with Nintendo originally and then peacing out to make the PS1, but I don't recall them having anything to do with Sega. 

Apparently it's true.

After the deal with Nintendo went south, Sony went to Saga (of America) to propose a collaboration. This ended up the the to companies funding of a small studio that worked on three Sega CD games. Both companies were convinced that Optical Disks were that was next for video game systems and combination of Sony's knowledge of this engineering and what Sega had learned from the Sega CD helped the two companies draw up plans for a Sony/Sega game's console. The powers that be in Sony in Japan loved the idea, but Sega of Japan did not because they didn't feel Sony knew how to make gaming hardware nor software. Yes, the Sega executives certainly got egg on thier face when the PlayStation was announced to be not only more powerful that the Sega Saturn, but significantly cheaper as well.

So yeah, I learned something new. Every day is a school day.

By the time Nintendo and Sega were out, I was living on my own and couldn't afford them. I'd spent a lot of time on the Atari 2600 and other consoles, but I already felt too old for video games during the Nintendo/Sega years. I still played with friends on their consoles, sometimes, but I just didn't have one to sit around and play all the time, so I never got into much.

The site was really slow and terrible to navigate but I was able to read the article In the end.

Though I was aware about the power turcel between the two gaming of the nineties something I was even more aware of was this "Sega Often Enlisted The Talent Of Celebrities".