Register Now
StaceyPowers

Confusing comments from NPCs about character’s appearance

For some reason in open world games, when NPCs comment on the character’s appearance negatively, it takes me forever to figure out what they are talking about. Like in Skyrim, I think I had to look it up to see that NPCs were alerting me that I had a disease by saying I looked ill. And in RDR 2, I still can’t figure out why NPCs say I look bad.

6 hours ago, StaceyPowers said:

For some reason in open world games, when NPCs comment on the character’s appearance negatively, it takes me forever to figure out what they are talking about. Like in Skyrim, I think I had to look it up to see that NPCs were alerting me that I had a disease by saying I looked ill. And in RDR 2, I still can’t figure out why NPCs say I look bad.

I can answer the question about RDR2. The NPCs will make comments about Arthur's looks/appearance based on many factors. They will comment about how dirty you are if you don't bathe in the game often, to the point where one of them will force Arthur to clean up in camp. I think it was Mrs. Grimshaw, I forget. 

Other times they will comment on your hair/beard growth. Will comment if your clothes are dirty. Also I think depending on your honor, they will comment differently. 

13 hours ago, Kane99 said:

I can answer the question about RDR2. The NPCs will make comments about Arthur's looks/appearance based on many factors. They will comment about how dirty you are if you don't bathe in the game often, to the point where one of them will force Arthur to clean up in camp. I think it was Mrs. Grimshaw, I forget. 

Other times they will comment on your hair/beard growth. Will comment if your clothes are dirty. Also I think depending on your honor, they will comment differently. 

Thanks! They were just giving me really generic comments of the "Do you KNOW what you look like?" variety, so I never did figure out what it was.

Some video games are programmed to be no different from what it would look like in reality and just imagine walking into a new village or something looking all dirty or maybe Having a bullet wound it is natural for residents of that area to be worried and make certain comments I think that's exactly what the video game developers are trying to achieve with the NPC.