Register Now
Moonface

Ever Received a Gift You Disliked?

With Christmas around the corner and the thought of gift giving on my mind, I was remembering times in the past as a kid when I received gifts that I either didn't want at all or just disliked, and wondered if anyone else here has ever had that?

For me, it was one particular Christmas when my mothers parents decided to randomly buy me a bunch of books about football (soccer) and diving, despite the fact I had never shown any interest in either subject. Despite being young I can recall my parents even questioning it between themselves, and I even get the feeling that I got similar books the following year too.

Another time was for my 18th birthday, my parents bought me a tankard because I was now legally allowed to purchase/drink alcohol, and at the time I found it a very odd gift because I wasn't going to drink from it, and I also didn't really even care to drink alcohol anyway so it felt odd getting something focused on a thing I wasn't going to start doing. They did offer to return it and get me something else, but over time it grew on me just as a thing to look at on my TV unit so I ultimately kept it, but it was something I initially wasn't very receptive to.

Yes, I've gotten a few. I got socks one year from @Rain Dew's parents. There was another year that all I got was a pair of plain old jersey gloves. I was thinking it would be less of a slap in the face if they just got me nothing instead. Now, (for reasons I won't get into) I have no contact with them and they no longer even think about getting anything for me.

I've always hated the xmas season anyway. It's too damn expensive. Also @Rain Dew and I enjoy spending money on each other, and I always overspend. I don't get much of anything every month, about $1k, so it's hard for me to pay bills and get her gifts. Sometimes all I can afford is a gift card to whatever store she wants. I know that's a really cheap of me to do, but she's really hard to buy for. Also I have always sucked at getting gifts for anyone.

My grandfather used to give us hundreds of dollars as kids for our birthday or Christmas, but one year he gave us socks. Suffice to say, that was a real let down compared to what we usually got. I've received a few films I had no interest in either as gifts before.

I always remember as a kid, me and my brothers used to receive gifts from my auntie and my grandma on my dad side of the family and it used to be things that we never really had an interest in so we used to thank them but they would usually be toys or even VHS tapes that we would never watch.