Register Now
Shortie

Have you ever played Clone Hero?

Clone Hero is a clone of games such as Guitar Hero and Rockband and can be played on PC, you can also download song packs from previous Rockband and Guitar Hero games so that you can play your favourite songs from these games. You can play the game either using the keyboard or a guitar from say Guitar Hero or Rockband.

Have you ever played Clone Hero and how do you find it compared to Guitar Hero and Rockband? My son recently started playing it on his PC and he is loving it so far with over 800 songs to choose from to play. 

I played it a few years ago after a friend suggested it to me. I don't recall being able to download all the songs from Guitar Hero and other such games, my guess is that it's not authorized or provided by the team who makes Clone Hero. As I remember the catalog of songs being very limited, though you could download packs like you said. But there may be some legalities there. 

When I played it, I don't recall them having a difficulty option. I can't play past the standard difficulty. Easy and Standard is all I can muster, so I remember Clone Hero didn't have that option, so I ended up quitting pretty fast haha. 

I am not sure now if they have a difficulty option either, I will have to ask my son as he would know. I know he is eager to get a guitar to play with as as much as he does enjoy playing using keyboard he prefers the guitar for a more real effect I guess with a game like that.

If what you describe is true @Shortie, there is no way that Clone Hero is legal. Not only will the game include copyright protected data ripped from games like Guitar Hero and Rockband (And they would have to rip that data, otherwise they would never be able to encode the controls properly), the music itself will not be properly licenced either.

We have rules on VGR. I've thought about it, and I've decided discussion of this will be permitted as discussion on emulation is permitted so long as instructions or links to aid in video game piracy and not included, but in that same light any posts that include links to download Clone Hero or any of it's content will be removed.

Edited by Shagger

11 hours ago, Shagger said:

If what you describe is true @Shortie, there is no way that Clone Hero is legal. Not only will the game include copyright protected data ripped from games like Guitar Hero and Rockband (And they would have to rip that data, otherwise they would never be able to encode the controls properly), the music itself will not be properly licenced either.

We have rules on VGR. I've thought about it, and I've decided discussion of this will be permitted as discussion on emulation is permitted so long as instructions or links to aid in video game piracy and not included, but in that same light any posts that include links to download Clone Hero or any of it's content will be removed.

Clone Hero itself is very much legal I can assure you of that. There will be no mention of how or where you can get any downloaded content just like I never mentioned it in the OP due to the said issue. As for rules I am very much aware of the rules and I am also not stupid as you seem to keep pointing out so much in these replies like I am some child. Like I said, clone hero is legal and I never mentioned anything regarding anything that may be 'illegal' at all in this thread such as links or information where to download certain things, if clone hero were illegal I am pretty sure the many content creators would not be streaming it being that I am also a content creator myself. I shall leave it at that.

1 hour ago, Shortie said:

Clone Hero itself is very much legal I can assure you of that. There will be no mention of how or where you can get any downloaded content just like I never mentioned it in the OP due to the said issue. As for rules I am very much aware of the rules and I am also not stupid as you seem to keep pointing out so much in these replies like I am some child. Like I said, clone hero is legal and I never mentioned anything regarding anything that may be 'illegal' at all in this thread such as links or information where to download certain things, if clone hero were illegal I am pretty sure the many content creators would not be streaming it being that I am also a content creator myself. I shall leave it at that.

Why is it when it comes to you I can't simply moderate the forum without you taking it like a personal attack? I could have said nothing then pounced on someone for including a link to download Clone Hero, or just locked and/or deleted this this thread completely. but no. For showing you some courtesy I get nothing but your venom. If you want to stop being, and I quote, "treated like a child", stop behaving like one. Don't worry, through, lesson learned. Since you're clearly not happy with me giving you benefit of the doubt, I won't do that anymore. Next time and every time I see a post from that sits on the borderline of the rules, I'll just delete it. Is that more to your preference?

And by the way, I'm not a fool. I did do a little research before I made my original post and there is no doubt that Clone Hero does infringe on copyright. So keep making a fuss about this and I will lock this thread.

Edited by Shagger

1 minute ago, Crazycrab said:

Clone Hero itself is probably legal, but downloading content for it that contains copyrighted material most certainly isn't.

Like @Shortie said and confirmed by my research, you can download additional songs for Clone Hero, but even the application on its own contains some music as part of the package, not to mention the user interface is ripped straight from Guitar Hero. So I would have to conclude the game even on it's own is still a bit naughty.