Register Now
Smokey

Private servers?

Is there a game you loved to play online that is no longer 'officially supported' that you need to rely on private servers to enjoy today? For me, that's Phantasy Star Online, Not PSO2, the original PSO, in any iteration, whether it be V2 or Blue Burst, or on Xbox/GC, you can't play it on official sega-owned servers anymore and thus need to rely on private servers. I ran a server for Blue Burst for a few years and i really miss it. I have an itching to bring it back online if I can, but it's been awhile i'd have to rebuild my team.  For now i've been playing Version 2 on the Dreamcast, online via Sylvarant's private server with the use of a DreamPi.  PSO isn't the only game back online on the Dreamcast, I also play Quake 3 Arena, Worms Party, and a few other titles online thanks to my DreamPi & the DreamcastNow community. Howabout you? Do you still play any games online using private servers?

I wouldn't say it was a game that I loved but it was a game that I did play in the past and then played on a private server which was Phantasy Star Online. I think it's great that there are still private servers of this game to be honest as it means you can often jump in and even catch up with old friends that you used to play the game with if you each know the server you are using. 

We or I end up doing our own private servers and only have people that have the game and who we know about, but it's been 8 months since we last even had a eco server. We get bored after awhile in a game and end up not playing it again for awhile and the server gets shut down

On 12/20/2022 at 6:52 AM, Empire said:

We or I end up doing our own private servers and only have people that have the game and who we know about, but it's been 8 months since we last even had a eco server. We get bored after awhile in a game and end up not playing it again for awhile and the server gets shut down

As a rule of law, I usually only join private servers of games that are no longer active supported by the developer. I agree that private servers do get boring after a period of time because there's not a lot to do.