Register Now
aerodynamik

What's the impact of Social Media on Gaming?

On 2/1/2023 at 1:01 PM, Shortie said:

Couldn't agree more with this. I don't use Reddit myself too often at all but I know people who do and the amount of times I have heard about things that have been said or happened on Reddit is not always good especially for the gaming community. Twitter as well is a site I have used a lot and still do now and that is also just as bad as many other social media sites when it comes to gaming and the impact it has on gaming. 

Honestly, I only use Twitter when it's absolutely necessary. Reddit, while having a decent amount of good communities also has some of the most degenerate communities seen on any platform. I'd argue that the biggest swamp of the lot is Tik-Tok - there's a reason I don't really even own an account. The toxicity is unreal.

One other thing about social media, is that people love to spoil things. So when it comes to new games, movies, and tv, I kinda steer clear of social media for the most part. Friends, news outlets and others have spoiled games and other media for me in the past. 

2 hours ago, Kane99 said:

One other thing about social media, is that people love to spoil things. So when it comes to new games, movies, and tv, I kinda steer clear of social media for the most part. Friends, news outlets and others have spoiled games and other media for me in the past. 

Yeah - that is true. I only look at the spoilers to know when the game is going to be officially released and the price. Most of the spoilers on social media especially in the past five years basically spoils the whole story before a game's release.

Social media has greatly impacted gaming by creating online communities, enabling real-time communication, and facilitating the sharing of gameplay experiences and content. It has also transformed marketing strategies, allowing for targeted advertising and influencer collaborations. Additionally, social media has given rise to esports, with tournaments and competitive gaming gaining massive popularity.

The toxicity and harassment on social media is a lot to write home about. Trolls and toxic players can use social media to harass other players, which can lead to a hostile environment that discourages new players from joining the community. 
There is also the use of unwarranted foul language that is exchanged by gamers. 
These altercations are not pleasant to experience. 

One of biggest impact of the existence of social media platforms on gaming is on publicity and awareness of both the games and the gamers as well. With the use of social media platforms, gamers can now stream their games, become popular like celebrities and make millions of dollars in the process. 

On 2/16/2024 at 5:44 PM, Heatman said:

One of biggest impact of the existence of social media platforms on gaming is on publicity and awareness of both the games and the gamers as well. With the use of social media platforms, gamers can now stream their games, become popular like celebrities and make millions of dollars in the process. 

True - a lot of top streamers would be working regular jobs if they weren't making thousands off of social media per month.

9 hours ago, killamch89 said:

True - a lot of top streamers would be working regular jobs if they weren't making thousands off of social media per month.

Exactly! When you look at how much the top game earners who are streaming on Twitch, it will be very clear how much those guys are making more than those who are doing regular jobs. What they earn can never be compared because it's too much. 

6 hours ago, Heatman said:

Exactly! When you look at how much the top game earners who are streaming on Twitch, it will be very clear how much those guys are making more than those who are doing regular jobs. What they earn can never be compared because it's too much. 

For instance, some of the top streamers are making in excess of $100k a month which is the annual salary of most high-paying jobs.

15 hours ago, killamch89 said:

For instance, some of the top streamers are making in excess of $100k a month which is the annual salary of most high-paying jobs.

Richard Tyler 'Ninja' Blevins was among the top earners on Twitch in 2023. He's among the most famous names in online gaming today. There was a report that came out stating he made $500,000 per month on Twitch which matches the earning record of Felix 'PewDiePie' - The Swedish Sensation. 

On 2/20/2024 at 5:28 AM, Heatman said:

Richard Tyler 'Ninja' Blevins was among the top earners on Twitch in 2023. He's among the most famous names in online gaming today. There was a report that came out stating he made $500,000 per month on Twitch which matches the earning record of Felix 'PewDiePie' - The Swedish Sensation. 

Which shows that social media has done a lot of good for some gamers as it's allowed them to earn from doing what they love the most.

3 hours ago, killamch89 said:

Which shows that social media has done a lot of good for some gamers as it's allowed them to earn from doing what they love the most.

Definitely, it's a big yes for those whom have been able to break into that first circle of streamers. They have had it easy compared to what new streamers are facing today. 

On 2/20/2024 at 11:28 AM, Heatman said:

That is a lot. This opportunity would not have been possible with social media. So we can say that it affords many to make a living while playing games. A noteworthy advantage of social media.