Register Now
killamch89

Email Compartmentalization

So, I was having this conversation with my friends the other day where we debated on how many email addresses are actually needed. My personal email setup is as follows:

• 2 - dedicated to recovering accounts
  • 1 - dedicated to communication with friends and family only
  • 2 - dedicated to my bank accounts (1 for local banks and 1 for international bank accounts)
  • 1 - for social media in addition to using email aliases so in the event of a data breach, my real email address won't get into the hands of hackers.
  • 1 - for forums and junk websites in combination with email aliases.
  • 1 - for online financial services
  • 2 - for subscription services
  • 1 - for shopping sites such as Ebay
  • 1 - for business communication

What's your email setup like?

I use the same email for just about everything. I do have several at the website I haven't updated in 10 years. But I rarely check them, and only use them as junk filters these days. If I'm signing up for something I don't know if it's legit, I just sue one of them as an email they an connect to. That way my real email is clear an I don't have to deal with a shitload of spam.

I have 3 emails myself. One that is for my gaming so for my Xbox account and such, one that is for personal use so that anything personal goes to that for example emails from school, billing emails, receipts for bills paid and such and then I have my email that I use for work where everything goes in there for work. 

I feel if I were to have anymore than that I would confuse myself so I keep things as simple as I can.

On 2/2/2023 at 9:11 AM, The Blackangel said:

I use the same email for just about everything. I do have several at the website I haven't updated in 10 years. But I rarely check them, and only use them as junk filters these days. If I'm signing up for something I don't know if it's legit, I just sue one of them as an email they can connect to. That way my real email is clear and I don't have to deal with a shitload of spam.

I really hate my damn fingers. That was supposed to say I USE one of them as an email they can connect to.

On 2/25/2023 at 2:07 PM, The Blackangel said:

I really hate my damn fingers. That was supposed to say I USE one of them as an email they can connect to.

I will be honest, I didn't pick up on that when I read the post so my mind must have read it as use instead of sue. I get like that myself though I go back and check something I wrote even after submitting it and can't believe I missed something or I managed to type something different, it's very frustrating. 

9 hours ago, Techno said:

I only have 2 emails. One for actual things and one to mess around with. I don't really think having that many emails is a smart tactic. You're gonna lose track of them all.

Not really, if you have a password manager, you'll definitely remember about them.