Register Now
Shagger

Quidditch Was Strangely Missing From Hogwarts Legacy, And I Think We Now Know Why...

A standalone Quidditch Game has been announced. Harry Potter Quidditch Champions is coming to PC and console at, as yet, an undetermined time, but one can sign up to a playtest of the game now at this link. Full story from Push Square.

Not too many facts about it yet, but this is looking like it's going to be a team based, competitive multiplayer game based on the famed fictional wizard's sport. This is from the same publisher (Warner Bro's Games), but not the same developers as Hogwarts Legacy and apparently has been in the works for a number of years, which when combined with the timing of this announcement is why there is no doubt in my mind that the absence of Quidditch from Hogwarts Legacy is all down to this. So if you can't tell, I'm annoyed. Not because Quidditch was absent from Hogwarts Legacy, but why it was in an otherwise brilliant game. In a strange coincidence, I actually beat it last night just after this was announced.

Still, I don't want to come down too hard on Harry Potter Quidditch Champions because it does sound like fun. It's a multiplayer game, a good move, and so long as they get the balance of the game right whilst still staying as true to the source material as possible it has real potential. Getting that aforementioned balance I think will be an unenviable task as the sport was created as a story ark to empower the hero of the books and was never intended to be a real competitive arena, but I'm hoping for the best. And for the love of God, do NOT make this some free-to-play, pay-to-win dross, Quidditch deserves better than that.

Edited by Shagger

Not all that surprising... Quidditch was a glaring omission, which made me think they were either holding it back for DLC or doing a stand-alone game. And it seems it'll be the latter. 

Hopefully it'll be just as good as Hogwarts Legacy, though... if it is, then we have a lot to look forward to!

I'm not sure what to say about this? On one hand, it's obvious they're being greedy by launching Quidditch as a standalone product as it could make for more multiplayer content for Hogwarts Legacy. On the other hand, with the success of Hogwarts Legacy, making this into a multiplayer competitive standalone game will likely rake in more money as Harry Potter has a huge fanbase.

I was just saying around a month or so ago to my daughter how I would love to see a Quidditch game released but one where you can play against others and play online. Suddenly we get this announcement and I am super excited for it. 

I have put in for the early access so fingers crossed I get that and get to check it out, as a Harry Potter fan, having a game dedicated to Quidditch is something I only dreamed of until now. 

On 5/12/2023 at 12:02 PM, Shortie said:

I was just saying around a month or so ago to my daughter how I would love to see a Quidditch game released but one where you can play against others and play online. Suddenly we get this announcement and I am super excited for it. 

I have put in for the early access so fingers crossed I get that and get to check it out, as a Harry Potter fan, having a game dedicated to Quidditch is something I only dreamed of until now. 

I'm willing to play it if the game is extremely fun.

On 5/17/2023 at 9:12 PM, Anders said:

I remember really enjoying the 2003 game Quidditch World Cup, so it this game is anything like that, I'll definitely give it a go

I never knew that there was another quidditch game that was released. Then again, I didn't play most Harry Potter games because I thought they were kind of boring. I think Hogwarts Legacy is the first one that has really caught my attention.

On 5/17/2023 at 9:33 PM, killamch89 said:

I'm willing to play it if the game is extremely fun.

Oh for sure! If the game is done and developed right and they get it right I see this being a huge success! With so many Harry Potter fans that are gamers but also with the potential to bring people who don't play games to often to the game if they are Harry Potter fans, there is high hope for this game and I only hope they get it right.