Register Now
Anders

Formula 1

I think there is a topic either on F1 or motorsport buried in the threads somewhere, but I'll just leave it and keep this thread open as I don't think anyone has posted to it in ages.

And yes, big F1 fan here. Mostly a Mercedes and Lewis Hamilton fan, even though it's been a rough couple of years, but enjoy good racing. Loving this resurgence for Aston Martin and Fernando Alonso and It's nice to see Ferrari topping the times sheets again. Really not a fan of Max Verstappen though. I'm not denying that he's amazing in the car, truly a once in a generation talent, but I hate his attitude. He's disrespectful, selfish and he just bitches and moans about everything. Even his massive success has done nothing to subdue his manners, if anything he's actually gotten worse the last 2-3 years. At least he has that success to justify his ego. The only thing anyone remembers his dad for was being set on fire, and his attitude is, well, let's just say with Max, it's clear whare it comes from.

On 5/3/2023 at 12:06 AM, Shagger said:

I think there is a topic either on F1 or motorsport buried in the threads somewhere, but I'll just leave it and keep this thread open as I don't think anyone has posted to it in ages.

And yes, big F1 fan here. Mostly a Mercedes and Lewis Hamilton fan, even though it's been a rough couple of years, but enjoy good racing. Loving this resurgence for Aston Martin and Fernando Alonso and It's nice to see Ferrari topping the times sheets again. Really not a fan of Max Verstappen though. I'm not denying that he's amazing in the car, truly a once in a generation talent, but I hate his attitude. He's disrespectful, selfish and he just bitches and moans about everything. Even his massive success has done nothing to subdue his manners, if anything he's actually gotten worse the last 2-3 years. At least he has that success to justify his ego. The only thing anyone remembers his dad for was being set on fire, and his attitude is, well, let's just say with Max, it's clear whare it comes from.

I'm over two months late with this reply, but hey. 

I absolutely agree about Max. There's no denying he's an excellent driver. Obviously the Red Bull car is excellent, but Max can still run circles around Checo in the same machinery. That being said, he really is kind of an asshole. The fact that he refused to let Checo though in Brazil last year, when Max was already named champion and Checo still needed the points really says everything you need to know about him.

I started following the sport early last year and have mainy been a Leclerc fan, but since he joined Aston Martin I've really become a big fan of Alonso. He just seems like such a genuinely nice guy, always grateful to his team. I was also really impressed with McLaren during sundays race at Silverstone. Really hope they can keep this kind of performance up. 

41 minutes ago, Anders said:

I'm over two months late with this reply, but hey. 

I absolutely agree about Max. There's no denying he's an excellent driver. Obviously the Red Bull car is excellent, but Max can still run circles around Checo in the same machinery. That being said, he really is kind of an asshole. The fact that he refused to let Checo though in Brazil last year, when Max was already named champion and Checo still needed the points really says everything you need to know about him.

I started following the sport early last year and have mainy been a Leclerc fan, but since he joined Aston Martin I've really become a big fan of Alonso. He just seems like such a genuinely nice guy, always grateful to his team. I was also really impressed with McLaren during sundays race at Silverstone. Really hope they can keep this kind of performance up. 

True things said about Alonso. I like drivers who are kind and respectful people out of the car, but become ruthless monsters in the car. Senna, Schumacher, Vettel, Hamilton and Alonso are all like that. Max Verstappen is not like that. He's got the ruthless part down, but he treats victory like it's something he's entitled too. Lewis always thanks his team and his fans just for being in the car, but I feel Max has this attitude that translates as "Yeah, I won, but that's how it should be". Put him in a slower car, like a Haas or an Alfa Romeo, and he'd be impossible to work with. In my opinion, he won his world championships too early. It was good for his career, but it harmed him as a person. Lewis found success right from the start of his career too, but that humbled him rather than inflate his ego, whereas Max has handled his success all wrong. You said it best, he's an asshole, and success only made him a bigger asshole.

I'm really happy at the news that Daniel Ricciardo is coming back! Very sad for de Vries obviously, shame he didn't even get to finish his first season, but he has quite a bit of previous experience and has said himself that he didn't want to get treated like a rookie. Clearly Alpha Tauri had higher expectations from him.

Danny has been one of my favorite drivers mainly because of his charisma, he really seems like a great buy, so I was pretty sad when McLaren let him go. Really looking forward to seeing him back on the track next weekend!

Yes, I do - and I've been following it since the 1997 season! It's my favourite sport, and I always look forward to watching the races - even if there isn't much of a championship battle this year 😛

Of course, it's great to see the Honey Badger back on the grid... ideally, I'd like to see him at a more competitive team, but I'm just glad he's there 🙂

17 hours ago, Kyng said:

Of course, it's great to see the Honey Badger back on the grid... ideally, I'd like to see him at a more competitive team, but I'm just glad he's there 🙂

If he does good at AT the rest of the season, I honestly think Checo should be worried next season...

On 7/18/2023 at 10:18 PM, Kyng said:

On 7/19/2023 at 4:15 PM, Anders said:

If he does good at AT the rest of the season, I honestly think Checo should be worried next season...

Don't get me wrong, I'm so happy to see Daniel back, but I think people are expecting too much of him. Even by thier own standards the Alpha Tauri has not been a quick car this year, in fact the team has only scraped together 2 points in total so far this season. Slow cars are slow for a reason and it's rarely a sign that the car is easy to drive, so I actually think he'll struggle to match Yuki Tsunoda for the first couple racing until he gets to grip with the car.

Edited by Shagger

14 minutes ago, Shagger said:

Don't get me wrong, I'm so happy to see Daniel back, but I think people are expecting too much of him. Even by thier own standards the Alpha Tauri has not been a quick car this year, in fact the team has only scraped together 2 points in total so far this season. Slow cars are slow for a reason and it's rarely a sign that the cars are easy to drive, so I actually think he's struggle to match Yuki Tsunoda for the first couple racing until he gets to grip with the car.

I'm not entirely clear on the rules, but are Red Bull and Alpha Tauri not allowed to share any research? Clearly they basically share drivers, the only reason I can think of for why the Red Bull car is god tier and the Alpha Tauri car is a shitbox is that it would be against the rules. 

2 minutes ago, Anders said:

I'm not entirely clear on the rules, but are Red Bull and Alpha Tauri not allowed to share any research? Clearly they basically share drivers, the only reason I can think of for why the Red Bull car is god tier and the Alpha Tauri car is a shitbox is that it would be against the rules. 

There is no way red Bull would be allowed to share designs, parts or staff with AlphaTauri. Like you said, it wouldn't make sense to see these two teams "book-end" the grid if they were allowed that. The two teams are both owned by the same conglomerate, that being Red Bull GmbH, but make no mistake about it they are separate teams in competition with each other, just like the rest of the grid. The, let's say, business politics between the two would make moving Daniel Riccardo from the Red Bull reserve driver position into the AlphaTauri car a little simpler, but such trades of drivers are perfectly possible between all the teams.

On 7/19/2023 at 4:42 PM, Shagger said:

Don't get me wrong, I'm so happy to see Daniel back, but I think people are expecting too much of him. Even by thier own standards the Alpha Tauri has not been a quick car this year, in fact the team has only scraped together 2 points in total so far this season. Slow cars are slow for a reason and it's rarely a sign that the car is easy to drive, so I actually think he'll struggle to match Yuki Tsunoda for the first couple racing until he gets to grip with the car.

Yeah, he'll struggle to do much with AlphaTauri... I'm certainly not expecting him to win races or anything 😛 . 

However, that's not to say he can't make himself noticed... if he can do something similar to what Alex Albon has done at Williams, that'll be enough to stand out 🙂

Well, that was interesting...

(Sorry about the lack of an embed, this is from F1's official YouTube Channel, it is what it is)

This new rule they're trailing has certainly shaken things up a bit. I'm still unsure how I feel about it, but I'm not ready to dismiss it quite yet either. I feel for George Russel, he's clearly out of place in 18nth, but delighted for Lewis Hamilton for pulling that one out the bag. Given that the even numbers start on the inside of the track, the dirty side, I think Max Verstappen has more to worry about from Lando Norris in third than Lewis Hamilton has to Worry about Max Verstappen in second. If max does have a weakness as a driver, I'd say it is his starts, so the start of tomorrow's race is going to interesting.

Yeah, the new rule sounds bad on paper, but Hungarian qualifying threw up an interesting result regardless! 

I think it still needs a few more races before we can assess it completely - but, the initial signs are good 🙂 .

I can't say that I follow Formula 1 myself but my dad always has done and when I was a kid, every weekend he would be watching the qualifiers and also the races as well. 

He used to have his own room where he could go and watch the races so he did not interrupt things me, my brothers and my mum were doing such as playing games or even watching things or listening to music. 

I have watched a few races with Lewis Hamilton but that is about it.

On 8/26/2023 at 2:42 PM, Shortie said:

I can't say that I follow Formula 1 myself but my dad always has done and when I was a kid, every weekend he would be watching the qualifiers and also the races as well. 

He used to have his own room where he could go and watch the races so he did not interrupt things me, my brothers and my mum were doing such as playing games or even watching things or listening to music. 

I have watched a few races with Lewis Hamilton but that is about it.

I used to watch it a lot as a child with Michael Schumacher and I also used to love Nascar. I guess I lost interest as I grew older.