Register Now
Shortie

Are you someone who follows weather events that are severe?

I have always been someone who enjoys keeping up to date with the weather and I often follow severe weather that happens around the world. My heart goes out to anyone who has to go through what we see when we severe weather events that take place. 

Just this past week we have seen Florida get hit with Hurricane Idalia and I have followed that myself but my heart goes out to those who have lost so much.

Are you someone who tends to follow severe weather events? 

Typically not so much, unless it's here where I live. We have tornadoes and flash floods quite a bit. Luckily @Rain Dew and I live in a house that's uphill in our neighborhood, so the only flooding we would get was if it was a repeat of '93. In 1995 I watched tornadoes hit a town that was about 10 miles away on the fourth. There were 4 of them that kept coming down and going up. They were F1's and F2's. So they weren't very big or powerful. Enough to screw up trees and break windows. That was about it. I have a video from someone who lived in that town that was outside filming it. Their commentary was somewhat comical, but other than that, it was just another tornado video. Nothing big.

Edited by The Blackangel

I was following the weather events that were taking place in Greece not to long ago. Mainly because I am due to fly out to Rhodes on the 30th of September, in preparation for my 23rd Birthday to spend in the warm sunny weather. It's funny, as us British haven't had much of a summer. Yet we moan about it being colder than usual for this time of year, while other places are spreading wildfire. Guess we should count ourselves lucky in this regard that mother nature hasn't chosen the UK yet. 

One of the biggest causes of the wildfires here is idiots that throw a still burning cigarette or lit match out of the window in their car. I know the cigarette is heat, not flame, but it often sparks things up and the fire is on. The matches definitely spark up a fire. Campfires are also a MAJOR cause of the wildfires. California is devastated every year by some of the most massive wildfires this country sees. Possibly some of the most massive the world would see. Tens of acres are destroyed, and hundreds of people are often evacuated. In the fire their house catches and they lose everything.

Edited by The Blackangel

I don't usually follow, but I would read some news about a disaster. Just recently Morocco had an earthquake that I think has killed around 3,000 now. I remember the Australian wild fires which was horrific. I remember the flooding in Texas from hurricane Harvey. Assholes abandoned animal shelters and let them drown all over the Texas area. I remember seeing dead hogs everywhere after the water began receding. Just waiting for Yellowstone to erupt. 

Yes, I do follow weather events that are severe since I feel it's important to stay informed about severe weather conditions, as they can have significant impacts on safety, infrastructure, and daily life. It can help us in staying prepared, take necessary precautions, and potentially help others who may be affected (if possible). It's always a good idea to rely on reliable sources of information, such as local weather authorities or reputable meteorological organizations, to ensure accurate and up-to-date details about severe weather conditions in your area. Now a days, everyone has access to the internet so staying updated about the recent happenings is not a difficult thing to do. 

15 hours ago, CoryAR said:

I mainly check the weather app daily on my iPhone to see what the weather will be like in our area. I don't necessarily follow severe weather seeing as we usually get alerts when there is extreme weather in our area.

Do you find the weather alerts that come through to your phone to be pretty stable? They were testing this in the UK as they wanted to move from sirens when there was a weather alert or danger to life alert due to the weather to alerts on phones but a lot of people never received the test alert.