Register Now
PGen98

PlayStation Handheld, Would it Work?

The PSP enjoyed some success, the Vita enjoyed a little bit, as well, but do you think there is still room on the Sony lineup for a handheld gaming system?  If so, what would be your ideal setup?

Honestly, the one thing I would like to see released is a bit of a handheld that gives you access to all of the back catalogs from the PS1, PS2, PSP and PS Vita range, with the ability to purchase PS3 games hopefully included later.  I feel that would touch on peoples' nostalgia need, but also offer a new way to play those games, or at least those that haven't already been ported over.  Would there be room for new releases exclusive to the handheld?  Of course, but the main focus would be the backlogs.  Imagine paying a minimal fee for the console plus a monthly fee for the backlogs, WHILE also being able to purchase the games outright so that, inevitably, when the console is no longer supported, gamers still have access to the games they want.  That's just a thought rampaging through my brain, I think it would be a neat idea to see come to fruition, though I find it highly unlikely it ever will.

I wish Sony would release a new handheld, I was hoping the Playstation Portal would have been an original handheld rather than just a remote play device for the PS5. The PSP did so well and there were many people who preferred the PSP to the DS. However, Sony would have to have a killer game on the handheld to try and compete against Nintendo's Switch.

I think a lot of people liked the PSP for the same reason I initially did. Because you could watch movies on it. I was much more interested that than the actual gaming experience.

But you never know. The PS Portal could be some kind of a test run, while an actual handheld is in R&D right now, this very minute.

Edited by The Blackangel

This is a tough question. I like the concept of the new PS Portal, delivering the PS5 experience on a handheld device, albeit streaming from the main unit. I would not be interested in a handheld that delivered a subpar experience. It has to be at least on par with the Switch, now that Nintendo raised the bar.

Nintendo went above and beyond with the Switch, so I definitely agree that it should be the standard. A handheld PS system would have to allow everything. They would have to have the PS store available on it for DDL's. They would have to have contracts with things like streaming services. The Switch originally had contracts with YouTube, Netflix, and HULU. Their contract with Netflix expired, but they still have the other two. So if Sony wants to compete with that, they're going to have to offer streaming services on their handheld as well. They will have to include all their Sony exclusives, like God Of War as well. Every game they can find to compete from major developers to indie games. It all has to be available on there. Switch has tens of thousands of games in their arsenal. The majority of them being in the store. Pop a high capacity microSD card in there and you can go wild. I have a 512g in mine right now, and 130 DDL's plus almost 30 carts. So if Sony can't match something like that, they would be better off leaving a handheld in the realm of "maybe".

I would love to see a new Playstation handheld like the Vita, but at the same time, I wouldn't trust them to not abandon it like they did with the PS Vita. They just stopped production of the PSVR2 headset after only a year. Sony doesn't know what they're doing or how to market their products that aren't Playstation 5. It's sad to say but I doubt we'll ever see a true PS Vita successor from Sony. If we did, it would be abandoned within a year or two.

On 10/10/2023 at 12:36 AM, Ravenfreak said:

I wish Sony would release a new handheld, I was hoping the Playstation Portal would have been an original handheld rather than just a remote play device for the PS5. The PSP did so well and there were many people who preferred th,  PSP to the DS. However, Sony would have to have a killer game on the handheld to try and compete against Nintendo's Switch.

It is pertinent to look at it from the marketing side. Does Sony think it is worth it venturing into making a new handheld device? If they find no serious reason with it, they will end up not getting along with it at all. It is not all about competing with Nintendo.