Register Now
Kane99

Ever help work on a video game?

I was asked recently by a friend to help with a video game he was going to try making. He of course is new to game development, but has coding knowledge. I don't know what engine he was using to make his game, I know it was a free to use one and was more meant for smaller games. He wanted to make a farming game, like we haven't seen more than enough of that already. 

Anyway, I didn't know what I could have added to the project, so he asked if I wanted, I could draw up the maps and create the world. But I didn't want to learn the program to do it haha, so never got to it. Of course we never agreed to me working on it, he just asked a few times. But the idea of helping did cross my mind a few times, thinking it would be cool to be part of a games design. 

Which brought me to this topic idea, have you ever done any work on a video game? Maybe a friends, or you did some work on a major title that no one knows about. Have you ever done any type of work? Even small. 

I used to be part of a crew that made up games. They called me a "thinker" because (according to them) my imagination had no limits and I could come up with the wildest shit. I also helped with design when I had an image in my head. I'm such a horrible artist that I fuck up a stick figure, but I can sure as hell guide a good artist to draw out what I have in my mind's eye. But ever since covid, the crew has mainly shut down. I contacted one of the guys that was on the coding team, and he said he doubted we would get back to making games. But if that changes, they would definitely let me know.

So yeah, I've had a hand in creating video games.

Even though I have always been interested in working on a video game and being involved in the development of one, it has not been something I have been able to do. I know my brother was involved with a group of his friends at University in developing a game and he said he had a lot of fun working on it and developing the game. 

Unfortunately, I don't have any interest in video games development. I know about so many platforms where you can get into game's creation but I never bothered getting into it. I also doesn't have any good coding and programming skills. I'll just pass on game's development.