Register Now
Kane99

Do you buy most of your retro games online or in store these days?

I haven't been purchasing much in terms of retro games these days, but I am always on the lookout. Recently I have been joining Facebook groups for retro games and collectibles. So far prices are a bit high for me, so I haven't bothered to buy anything through Facebook yet. Also, I am a bit paranoid about buying on Facebook, they aren't 100% the safest when it comes to buying and selling items. I don't really have any retro gaming stores in my area, and the ones I do have are don't have much in store or it's a local gamestop, and I aint buying anything from Gamestop these days. So my only alternative is to look online. 

Anyway, do you guys tend to go to local game stores for retro games these days? Or do you mostly focus your attention to online shops and classified sites for your retro game needs? Are you ever paranoid when buying from a seller on Facebook? 

Edited by Kane99

I don't really shop on FB. I get mine from either eBay or Craigslist. But my current library is pretty much complete for what I play. There are other games that I have played in the past that I enjoyed, but I don't own them, and at this current moment have no plans to buy them. However, when I see a gaming bundle on CL, I move quick to buy it, regardless of what all is in it. And I always find a gold nugget in there.

So my advice is to just be patient and keep your eyes open.

Edited by The Blackangel

I have a community where virtually all of these games are sold. There is no funny activity there, you only pay when the game has been delivered to you and you have tested them. Most times they are fairly used, other times they are brand new. 
I got my PS3 online, and maybe I’ll go the same route for subsequent purchases. 

Mostly buy them online.  We don’t really have any retro game stores anymore. Used to have Blockbusters and a few other stores but these are really part of the past now. Plus, buying online is easier with the convenience 

On 1/15/2024 at 6:07 AM, Debashis said:

Online all the way. No need to waste time hunting around in stores. Just a few clicks and boom, I've got new game in my collection. Plus, the selection online is way bigger. Gotta catch 'em all!

Exactly! Why stress myself going through physical stores when I can get almost everything I wanted from online store? Ebay is very good place I've been using to get them without having any issues. 

I like the thrill of the hunt, personally.  What can I find in the wild?  I've found amazing deals that way, like a sealed copy of Comix Zone for $7!  I have bought online, and I have no issues with purchasing online, but I still enjoy the thrill of the hunt, too :)

On 2/4/2024 at 6:39 PM, PGen98 said:

I like the thrill of the hunt, personally.  What can I find in the wild?  I've found amazing deals that way, like a sealed copy of Comix Zone for $7!  I have bought online, and I have no issues with purchasing online, but I still enjoy the thrill of the hunt, too 🙂

I have gone on the hunt a few times, it can be thrilling just like you pointed out but where I had issues was failing to find something worth buying in the end. It happened a few times to me and that had me discouraged from doing it again. 

On 2/5/2024 at 9:49 PM, Heatman said:

I have gone on the hunt a few times, it can be thrilling just like you pointed out but where I had issues was failing to find something worth buying in the end. It happened a few times to me and that had me discouraged from doing it again. 

That's the risk, definitely.  There are going to be hunts where you find nothing or nothing of interest to you, and there are going to be hunts where you find a lot of "meh" titles, but that's what makes the hunts where you find the truly great stuff worthwhile.  It's like anything in life, you've got your share of disappointments that aren't fun, but they make the great moments worthwhile!

7 hours ago, PGen98 said:

That's the risk, definitely.  There are going to be hunts where you find nothing or nothing of interest to you, and there are going to be hunts where you find a lot of "meh" titles, but that's what makes the hunts where you find the truly great stuff worthwhile.  It's like anything in life, you've got your share of disappointments that aren't fun, but they make the great moments worthwhile!

Yeah, that's very correct. If it's all easy whenever you went looking, it's going to even get boring along the line and it's certainly going to lose it's value and vibe because anyone can get into the act and get great titles with ease. There wouldn't be fun in it that much.