Register Now
Shagger

Man, Star Wars Battlefront Fans Just Can't Catch a Break...

Another day, another disastrous game launch. This time it's Star Wars Battlefront Classic Collection from Aspyr, the same company behind the recent, and to fair quite well received, Tomb Raider Remasters, but that just makes this catastrophe all the more sad.

1290649335_Screenshot2024-03-15112110.thumb.jpg.8ea8f5a2749321057c90a02df251e4b5.jpg

(BTW Steam, in what way is this game like Fallout 4?)

First, at launch there were only 3 servers for the multiplayer available leaving room for only around 200 players total, so we're already into some deeply stupid territory here. Then there issues with crashes (Like when one tries to search for a game mode, for example), graphical glitches, lagging, rubber banding and so on. The game is barely playable online, which is the main draw for this franchise.

But wait, there's more. The new file format makes the game incompatible with most currently available mods for the original games, so we can't expect the community to come to the rescue anytime soon. And also, can somebody explain to me why the game is 50GB in size?

908545602_Screenshot2024-03-15112511.jpg.65d369d798bcf81f74cc0ea418e10ac3.jpg

I know that it's two full games with a graphical update, but they're still 20 years old! There is no reason for this other than Aspyr being unwilling to compress the game's though sheer laziness. There is a rumour that Aspyr did this to improve compatibility on the Steam Deck, but I don't buy that because, as you can see, it's not like one needs a particularly powerful PC to run this. I got annoyed to find the PC port of Final Fantasy XIII being 50GB+ as a 13 year old game, but at least I understand why that port is so large. The cut scenes in that game are largely made of digitally animated video clips that take up a lot of space and are all in there twice to be compatible with both the English and Japanese voice overs. So there is an explanation for that. I don't feel that Star Wars Battlefront Classic Collection has such an excuse.

Companies can't even take games that worked fine 20 years ago and make then work now, what a joke.

Yeah I heard the remasters of these games was done really poorly and the online components are completely unplayable to the point they shouldn't even be in the game. It's a shame really because I loved the original battlefront series back in the day. 

See? I told you in another thread that there's every possibility that EA screws this up. That's why I kept my expectations in check - I'm not even surprised. It seems like Capcom is the only major gaming company that can do a proper remaster.

5 minutes ago, Reality vs Adventure said:

I’ve always seen bad reviews on that series. Start new, what about Ubisoft’s Star Wars coming in 2024? I’m not a fan of Star Wars but if we’re to start being one, I’d go with a new developer. 

It's mainly Battlefront 2 which came out about 7 years ago. You've heard me rant about this game several time - it's the last game I've ever pre-ordered. However, what we're talking about is the original Battlefront games which featured on the PS2/PS3. Those were excellent games but EA have screwed up the remaster.

42 minutes ago, killamch89 said:

See? I told you in another thread that there's every possibility that EA screws this up. That's why I kept my expectations in check - I'm not even surprised. It seems like Capcom is the only major gaming company that can do a proper remaster.

Actually, at least as far as I can tell, EA have nothing to do with The Star Wars Battlefront Classic Collection. As much as we would all like to, we can't blame EA for this.

34 minutes ago, Shagger said:

Actually, at least as far as I can tell, EA have nothing to do with The Star Wars Battlefront Classic Collection. As much as we would all like to, we can't blame EA for this.

You're right but this is basically the Rockstar Trilogy Edition launch all over again. Triple A company outsources development of a remaster and it turns out horrible.