Register Now
StaceyPowers

Has gaming helped you develop or express your identity?

I really enjoyed a response that @Alyxx posted on this thread in regards to playing games and expressing gender identity. I could relate, because playing MMOs when I was young gave me a way to see past social constructs and get to know people on a level beyond age, nationality, gender and so forth. Since it was at a formative time in my life, it also gave me a chance to see myself beyond those constructs and form an identity which transcends them. It made me realize that while game worlds are constructed, a lot of what society takes for granted IRL is constructed too. As a Communication major in college, I wrote a few papers about this.

I was wondering if anyone else has stories to share where playing games has helped to either shape your identity or express it in some way?

Edited by StaceyPowers

As a more indepth extension on what I stated, games have helped me develop my female identity, what makeup I want to use, what clothes I like wearing etc. I often have very specific ways of expressing myself in games, especially MMO's and such and the more customization options I have the better. That's why I am always a bit bothered by lack of customization in multiplayer games. It's a personal reason but a reason nonetheless.

15 hours ago, Alyxx said:

As a more indepth extension on what I stated, games have helped me develop my female identity, what makeup I want to use, what clothes I like wearing etc. I often have very specific ways of expressing myself in games, especially MMO's and such and the more customization options I have the better. That's why I am always a bit bothered by lack of customization in multiplayer games. It's a personal reason but a reason nonetheless.

That is a wonderful response. Thank you so much for sharing that. It's so easy for people to blow off video games for not being "real," but often, they allow us to express our real selves more than we can in "real" life.

Gaming has always been a part of my identity. It’s helped me connect with other people, stay in touch with friends and simply been a good way for me to unwind at the end of a busy day in work. It’s a wonderful medium that is all too often misunderstood by society and mainstream media.

No, it hasn't expressed my identity.  I'm simply not a gaming fanatic - though, I do love creating 3D computer art - the backbone of games.  Well, 3D computer art, drumming, and web development are certainly things that define a lot of me.

For me the identity that I was looking for is acknowledgment that I'm not childish. It's way more general than what you're hoping answers will be but it kinda set me free. When I was a kid I could never have a console or get new games because I was a girl. I felt different growing up. I wasn't going out like other girls and I knew how to format a pc at the age of 8. hahaha Growing up knowing that you like something so much but can't have it had an impact in the future.

I moved to another city at 19 and was able to spend all the time I wanted getting to know video games. In the 7 years I had to gain knowledge, I now know everything. It took a lot to stand up to my parents and let them know that I'm not a child that likes games. I'm a grown ass woman that can't be exactly what they want. Working in the video game industry helped a lot too but overall, video games set me free from the thinking that I'm weird that I'm not like other girls in my small hometown. Sorry for the long post 😄