Register Now
StaceyPowers

Video game characters you easily identify with?

Are there any video game characters you have found it particularly easy to relate to in some way?

I find it easy to relate to Leliana in Dragon Age. Her personality and interests when she was younger remind me of mine when I was young (not as dramatic on my end of course), as does her evolution in Origins (and Leliana’s Song) toward replacing that with purpose and the desire to do right by others. I also love how she is able to reconcile her past in Origins and kind of bring both aspects of herself together in a more focused way. I’d like to be more like her in that respect.

2 hours ago, StaceyPowers said:

Are there any video game characters you have found it particularly easy to relate to in some way?

I find it easy to relate to Leliana in Dragon Age. Her personality and interests when she was younger remind me of mine when I was young (not as dramatic on my end of course), as does her evolution in Origins (and Leliana’s Song) toward replacing that with purpose and the desire to do right by others. I also love how she is able to reconcile her past in Origins and kind of bring both aspects of herself together in a more focused way. I’d like to be more like her in that respect.

I can mainly relate to Dante from Devil May Cry because while he is very laid-back, he is also calm and calculative as well as very brave.

April Ryan from The Longest Journey is someone I always felt resonated with me and that I saw myself in. Being someone who is very artistic and creative, I always felt familiar with a lot of the situations she went through in her daily life. Aside from the fantastical elements of the game, I definitely could relate to dealing with asshole neighbours in my living space, friends pulling me in different directions, going to school to follow an artistic pursuit and not really caring about other things. I also played The Longest Journey while I myself was in high school so I think that made it easier for me to resonate with her. I really want to go back to playing it at some point.

3 hours ago, Alyxx said:

April Ryan from The Longest Journey is someone I always felt resonated with me and that I saw myself in. Being someone who is very artistic and creative, I always felt familiar with a lot of the situations she went through in her daily life. Aside from the fantastical elements of the game, I definitely could relate to dealing with asshole neighbours in my living space, friends pulling me in different directions, going to school to follow an artistic pursuit and not really caring about other things. I also played The Longest Journey while I myself was in high school so I think that made it easier for me to resonate with her. I really want to go back to playing it at some point.

Sounds like an interesting character and I can relate to being very artistic and creative.

On 2/3/2019 at 5:05 PM, DylanC said:

I can relate to Joel from The Last Of Us as I have a wee daughter, too. That opening scene proper made me cry. 😥

Most people label Joel as a psychopath but when someone who comes into your life reminds you of what you lost, would you want to protect them at all costs?

3 hours ago, killamch89 said:

Most people label Joel as a psychopath but when someone who comes into your life reminds you of what you lost, would you want to protect them at all costs?

He’s pretty relatable on many levels and I think that’s why The Last Of Us works so well. Don’t get me wrong, what he ultimately does at the end of the game is beyond selfish, but as players, we can understand why he does it because we’ve seen what he’s gone through, if that makes sense.

16 hours ago, DylanC said:

He’s pretty relatable on many levels and I think that’s why The Last Of Us works so well. Don’t get me wrong, what he ultimately does at the end of the game is beyond selfish, but as players, we can understand why he does it because we’ve seen what he’s gone through, if that makes sense.

I don't think what he done is selfish at all because there is no guarantee that the fireflys would make that vaccine available to everyone and more than likely they would use it as a political tool to garner more power. 

8 hours ago, killamch89 said:

I don't think what he done is selfish at all because there is no guarantee that the fireflys would make that vaccine available to everyone and more than likely they would use it as a political tool to garner more power. 

You’re right. I agree that the fireflys’ option still wasn’t a 100% guaranteed going to work, but the selfishness comes from the fact that it was Ellie’s choice and not Joel’s. Joel lies to her. Ellie would’ve sacrificed herself for the chance for a vaccine because she’s full of hope for the future. But Joel took that choice away from her by lying at the end.

On 2/7/2019 at 2:00 AM, DylanC said:

You’re right. I agree that the fireflys’ option still wasn’t a 100% guaranteed going to work, but the selfishness comes from the fact that it was Ellie’s choice and not Joel’s. Joel lies to her. Ellie would’ve sacrificed herself for the chance for a vaccine because she’s full of hope for the future. But Joel took that choice away from her by lying at the end.

I can't really fault him for that though - It's human nature to sometimes be willing to protect the one you love at all costs.

1 hour ago, killamch89 said:

I can't really fault him for that though - It's human nature to sometimes be willing to protect the one you love at all costs.

Joel willing to protect what he loves at all costs is one of the reasons I think I most relate to him, honestly. I know If I was in Joel's shoes, I'd feel conflicted and super guilty for lying, though. And I think that theme is explored quite overtly. I appreciate your perspective - there's a lot of layers story-wise which is why I hold it in such high regard.

TL:DR I can't really fault him, either.

Edited by DylanC

13 minutes ago, DylanC said:

Joel willing to protect what he loves at all costs is one of the reasons I think I most relate to him, honestly. I know If I was in Joel's shoes, I'd feel conflicted and super guilty for lying, though. And I think that theme is explored quite overtly. I appreciate your perspective - there's a lot of layers story-wise which is why I hold it in such high regard.

TL:DR I can't really fault him, either.

I agree - it is one of the deepest stories I encountered in the thousands of video games I have played in this lifetime.

7 hours ago, killamch89 said:

I agree - it is one of the deepest stories I encountered in the thousands of video games I have played in this lifetime.

Aye, it’s a really great game to discuss. It’s a testament to the incredibly deep story that we can have so many different takes/interpretations on it. 

5 hours ago, DylanC said:

Aye, it’s a really great game to discuss. It’s a testament to the incredibly deep story that we can have so many different takes/interpretations on it. 

I wish they'd make more games with captivating stories like this instead of these dull games with practically no story and gimmicky gameplay.