Register Now
StaceyPowers

Should microtransactions and loot boxes be banned?

My personal opinion is that loot boxes in games should be banned entirely as they introduce a gambling element, especially when combined with real life money.

Microtransactions are fine as long as they are kept optional and non intrusive to the game. However I feel in a full priced game, they do not belong. Keep them to freemium games.

13 hours ago, killamch89 said:

They should be completely banned out of existence. Loot Boxes and Microtransactions are the reason we end up with these unfinished games in the first place.

To be fair here and play the devil's advocate, a lot of games that doesn't have either of those things can still feel unfinished so it's not really the sole reason I think. I think it's more an issue with crunch culture contributing to the drop in quality. Microtransactions and loot boxes I think exist more out of corporations desperate to make a profit, since the amount of sales needed to make up for the cost of producing these games and marketing them are so astronomically high, loot boxes and microtransactions more function as a safety net for the publisher than anything. Basically if a game doesn't set sales records these days, it's considered a failure. I think personally that's the biggest reason they have become more ubiquitous in games.

Edited by Alyxx

16 hours ago, killamch89 said:

They should be completely banned out of existence. Loot Boxes and Microtransactions are the reason we end up with these unfinished games in the first place.

I think items can stay in the microtransactions. I mean most of the android games are making money with that. But overall I'd say that if its too much interfering with games then it's not worth it. 

5 hours ago, Moony Burbage said:

I just don't play the games which have loot boxes and microtransactions. And if someone has problem with them, they should avoid playing them and hope those features will die out due to little demand.

I avoid them myself, and I too hope that they will die out. But I also suppose I am not all that much of an optimist about it. When a practice like that becomes so widespread as to be almost ubiquitous (and that kind of thing does sometimes happen), consumers have a tendency to give up fighting/avoiding it.