Register Now
Demon_skeith

Amazon no longer offering Twenty Percent off Pre-Orders

Amazon was an ideal place for getting new games, any new game you got was given a 20% discount but now no longer. I recently got an email informing me that Amazon is no longer offering its 20% discount on any new game pre-orders (which at a typical $60 came out to be $12 in savings) and now will offer a simple $10 amazon credit on any select game per-orders.

You can get the full details here:

https://www.amazon.com/b?node=17911060011&=vg63_primevideogames_tc_lp_em)_&ref_=pe_6260660_294621830

I don't pre-order a lot when it comes to video games because they usually have plenty of copies here when it comes to games I want.  So, this doesn't really affect me really.  Now, if I didn't a lot of shopping on Amazon, like Demon_skeith mentioned, I might pre-oreder a little bit more often.

13 hours ago, JennyorAlice said:

That's weird.  I figured Amazon would keep those discounts in order to compete with Best Buy and the other stores that are offering that now.  I would think that getting rid of that wouldn't help them to compete with someone else.

Sorry, I wasn't clear in my last post. I was saying that Gamestop and Bestbuy retracted their offers, which is kind of why Amazon is backing away from theirs as well.

Without this discount, people should hopefully start to relies that pre-ordering games is a really stupid idea. Pre-ordering games is stupid for a variety of reason, including;

1. Games often go on sale within months of launch, mean you can often get a better deal by waiting.
2. If you pre-order, you don’t know how good the game is as there are no reviews.
3. By pre-ordering, you are telling game developers that you will buy their game no matter how well it is made.

On 8/29/2018 at 6:53 PM, realgamez said:

Without this discount, people should hopefully start to relies that pre-ordering games is a really stupid idea. Pre-ordering games is stupid for a variety of reason, including;

1. Games often go on sale within months of launch, mean you can often get a better deal by waiting.
2. If you pre-order, you don’t know how good the game is as there are no reviews.
3. By pre-ordering, you are telling game developers that you will buy their game no matter how well it is made.

Preach! Also, in the days of digital downloads (I think I've seen people pre-order those lol. You can even pre-order digitial movies...) why? Seriously why?
In the old days the point of pre-order was the ensure the store doesn't run out of stock before you get it...Digital downloads don't run out of stock so easily from what I understand.

On 8/29/2018 at 3:53 AM, realgamez said:

I kind of agree with point 3, but sometimes you also need to show that you do support what they are doing by pre-ordering. Like the upcoming Spyro game, I know its well made and deserves the money.

6 hours ago, DylanC said:

Getting brand new $60 games for $48 is a hell of a deal. The $10 credit thing Amazon do now is a pretty good deal, too. Don't think they offer it in the UK as far as I can tell. 

Eh, depends on how much you personally value things.
To me, that really just tells me that the true RRP (regardless of capitalist consensus) is highly likely much less than $48 but they've decided they can probably get away with $48-$60 rendering them winners by a crazy large margin in the long run.

I used to work for a major retailer, here and was privy to many of the inner workings of these things. Some things that look like great deals to people with no scope on the numbers...Well, let's just say those same people would probably be shocked on the mark up and movement of the product.