Register Now
StaceyPowers

Starting Tips for FTL?

13 minutes ago, StaceyPowers said:

Some friends just bought me a copy of Faster Than Light. I’m new not just to this game, but fairly new to this entire type of game. Anyone have any starting advice for a newbie to help me get the most out of it?

@DylanC @Executor Akamia

Amazing game! Here’s a few tips straight off the bat:

1) It’s hard (even on easy) so don’t be perturbed if you’re not getting that far in your first few runs. Use them to “learn the ropes”.

2) Pretty obvious but complete the tutorial to learn the basics.

3) Evasion stat is very useful. Acts a bit like an extra shield for your ship. It’s cheap to upgrade at the beginning and your crew members on Piloting and Engines will level up faster when you have upgraded your engines/evasion. It’s a win-win.

4) Try and buy a second shield early on. It’s super useful (similar to evasion).

5) Drone Control is useful, too. Getting a defence drone to defend your ship from missiles is key to your ongoing success (particularly in sectors 3 onwards).

Those are good tips to get you started. If you have anything specific to ask just shoot! Enjoy! 🙂

18 minutes ago, DylanC said:

Amazing game! Here’s a few tips straight off the bat:

1) It’s hard (even on easy) so don’t be perturbed if you’re not getting that far in your first few runs. Use them to “learn the ropes”.

2) Pretty obvious but complete the tutorial to learn the basics.

3) Evasion stat is very useful. Acts a bit like an extra shield for your ship. It’s cheap to upgrade at the beginning and your crew members on Piloting and Engines will level up faster when you have upgraded your engines/evasion. It’s a win-win.

4) Try and buy a second shield early on. It’s super useful (similar to evasion).

5) Drone Control is useful, too. Getting a defence drone to defend your ship from missiles is key to your ongoing success (particularly in sectors 3 onwards).

Those are good tips to get you started. If you have anything specific to ask just shoot! Enjoy! 🙂

Thank you so much for sharing such specific tips—exactly what I was looking for. I’ve been very low on energy the past few days so I haven’t gotten a chance to play yet, but I am excited to at last experience this game.

24 minutes ago, StaceyPowers said:

Thank you so much for sharing such specific tips—exactly what I was looking for. I’ve been very low on energy the past few days so I haven’t gotten a chance to play yet, but I am excited to at last experience this game.

Any time! One other quick and easy tip is to target enemy ships’ weapon systems to disable their guns. Once their weapons are offline, they become sitting ducks. Good luck!