Register Now
kingpotato

New generation of Consoles not really innovating.

I was reading an interview to the boss of Platinum games and he said that that the upcoming hardware feels like “more of the same quite frankly, compared to previous generations. It’s nothing that’s disruptive or super innovative, if you ask me.” Aside from shorter load times and some few tweaks in the graphics the new consoles are not going to be much of a leap forward. Which makes me wonder, how noticeable will the difference between the current gen and the next gen will be ?
I'm not an expert in hardware specifications so I even when knowing some of the specs of the new consoles I cant make myself an idea as to how much of a difference it will be.

From what I’ve read and seen online, the only real difference will be the name of the systems. Yes there will be games released that are only playable on that generation. But there’s so far no real improvement to graphics or processors that I’ve come across in any articles. Look at the PS5. It’s going to be fully compatible with PS4 games. That should be a red flag to begin with. Reverse play is a good thing, but when that’s the selling point of a system, instead of other technological improvements, I tend to lose a bit of faith.

From what I've seen, the next-gen systems will be significantly more powerful, but use pretty much the same kind of tech as before. So in terms of functionality, it will probably be pretty much the same. Maybe that's what he meant. It's possible he did mean graphics as well, and if he did, he might have a point. Graphics are hitting a glass ceiling. It's getting to the point you can increase the power and graphics processing capabilities of a system several times over and make less and less of a difference.

The "next gen", at least for Sony and Microsoft, has been about better graphics and little else for too long. There's been very little effort put into innovating how we use consoles or enhancing the gameplay experience. Microsoft didn't sell it well at the announcement of the XBox One, they put too much emphasis on it, but using the console as an entrainment hub to access your TV services as well as games and streaming and control it all through one device was cool idea. PlayStation have PSVR, but VR is really an old idea that we only recently have been able to develop the technology to make it work decently, so I wouldn't call it innovative. Then there's Nintendo. Like them or not, they're the only major gaming hardware manufacturer who actually tries to enhance the gameplay experience rather than just focus on graphics. Some of their experiments work better than others of course, but what matters is that they try each time.

One good example of this will be The Last of Us Part 2 on PS5, the only difference between the two consoles aside from a few graphical updates will be that the game will not have loading screens. Which is cool but then again is the absence of loading screen really makes a difference ? and will this be on all games or only on those that are stuck between generations, and in reality its nothing new, God of War already did this on a standard PS4.

1 minute ago, kingpotato said:

One good example of this will be The Last of Us Part 2 on PS5, the only difference between the two consoles aside from a few graphical updates will be that the game will not have loading screens. Which is cool but then again is the absence of loading screen really makes a difference ? and will this be on all games or only on those that are stuck between generations, and in reality its nothing new, God of War already did this on a standard PS4.

True, but God of War did that with some very clever programming tricks, camera set-ups and scripted pass-throughs between the environments to give the game a chance to load next section. They didn't archive it through hardware fidelity, so it's not quite the same thing.

13 minutes ago, Shagger said:

True, but God of War did that with some very clever programming tricks, camera set-ups and scripted pass-throughs between the environments to give the game a chance to load next section. They didn't archive it through hardware fidelity, so it's not quite the same thing.

xD didnt know that.