Register Now
Kane99

Microsoft open to buying more studios

With the recent purchase of Bethesda, Microsoft may not be done just yet. According to Microsoft CEO, Satya Nadella and Phil Spenser (Head of Xbox) there is a chance that Microsoft could purchase other companies/studios that share the same wants they do. 

It was huge when they announced they purchased Bethesda. I honestly never would have seen that one coming, but it did. Do you think Microsoft will buy up more studios? Or will they stay quiet on that front for a while? Don't count Sony out now. Many people tried to get them to purchase up Komani lol. 

Read about this news here: 

https://www.nme.com/news/gaming-news/microsoft-is-open-to-buying-more-video-game-companies-2759715

I have no issues with they adding more of such games under their belt. As long as the franchise continues I have no issues. Imagine a lot of studios are dying and microsoft could save them. Though this also creates forceful demand for people having to get both consoles. 

There're rumours about talks between Microsoft and SEGA, and also rumours about Sony wanting to acquire Ubisoft. Of course, they are just rumours, so take it with a grain of salt. I'm not sure I like this trend of big publishers being bought up by even bigger console manufactures. I've been saying for years that it's exclusives that define a platform and that's what matters most, but that didn't mean Sony and Microsoft should just buy up huge publishers and their franchises to create that distinction. A few studios is one thing, but entire AAA publishers is another.

I hope not. I want to see studios remain independent from console developers. That way they're not confined to what one specific console wants the game to be. They can make it to their desires, and if said console doesn't like it, then it's their loss. They're not under the thumb of a bigger major league corporation that can scrutinize every tiny thing they do and make them put out something that they won't stand behind because mommy and daddy said so. Independence is more important, and vastly more respectable, than a billion dollar buyout.