Register Now
StaceyPowers

Most heartbreaking moment in a video game?

When I was 16, I bought Ultima IV, for the Commodore 64. It was the first time I had played a game like that. The Ultima series had broken new ground, making open world interaction a thing (think Red Dead Redemption.) I played it for months. I had a notebook full of notes on the game. Snippets of conversation from NPCs, clues to advance down the story line.

I spent months of swapping 5.25" floppies, then waiting a couple of minutes for the next map to load, and usually cause I accidently went the wrong way, so I would have to swap floppies, then wait again for the other map to load. I thought about it all the time. I loved those moments when I could sit down and play it for 2 or 3 hours straight.

Then, suddenly, it was over. I beat the game. I was the Avatar. There literally was nothing else remotely like it on the market. It was depressing.

On 1/6/2021 at 8:30 PM, killamch89 said:

MGS 2 Olga's Death

Really???? All the tragic stuff that happens in the Metal Gear Solid franchise, and you picked Olga??

For me, it's tied between shooting the Boss at the end of MGS3, and that one part in MGS4 at Meryl's wedding where Otacon tries to explain to Sunny that Snake is going away and not coming back. Thanks for the tears, Kojima!

On 1/17/2021 at 6:07 PM, staticradio725 said:

Really???? All the tragic stuff that happens in the Metal Gear Solid franchise, and you picked Olga??

For me, it's tied between shooting the Boss at the end of MGS3, and that one part in MGS4 at Meryl's wedding where Otacon tries to explain to Sunny that Snake is going away and not coming back. Thanks for the tears, Kojima!

Olga was a really complex individual in a very difficult position and she realized that she made a grave mistake and was trying to atone for it. It's a mirror of the faulty decisions we tend to make in very critical situations and then we have lifelong regret because of our own selfish decisions hurt the people nearest to us.

Unloved, a dead mother, a hateful father, no future, no past, seeing all the horror and hatred and selfishness humanity is capable of, using his incredible power not to help but to spread war, death, and suffering... all to die doing something good and selfless for once in his life... and feeling good about it... tragic